• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting for remote reservoir shocks

XJkittie

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have any ideas or pictures for mounting remote reservoir shocks to my XJ? I just picked some up and I'm not sure exactly where I should mount the reservoir to look the cleanest. If you guys have any ideas of what worked best for you I would really appreciate them. Thanx!

XJkittie said:
Does anyone have any ideas or pictures for mounting remote reservoir shocks to my XJ? I just picked some up and I'm not sure exactly where I should mount the reservoir to look the cleanest. If you guys have any ideas of what worked best for you I would really appreciate them. Thanx!
depends, what shock mounts do you have? are they eye-eye shocks? Here is what my front mounts look like:
DSCN0976.jpg

DSCN0977.jpg

and here is the original thread I started a while back:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92163&highlight=resi+mounting

XJkittie said:
They are stock '88 mounts. Front has the stud on top and bar pin on the bottom and the Rear has the bar pin on top and eye on the bottom
then you should be able to mount the resi to the shock body, as they were intended. I did not have that option due to space, or lack there-of.

Thanks, I have been told it is average length:), JK, the hose length is 12" from fitting-to-fitting, I had to re-plumb it with a 90* elbow to run the resi there, there was a major issue with the resi hitting the inner fender when mounted to the shock body, you shouldn't have that issue.

fdsa487 said:
Skullvarian - how do you like those T&J upper shock conversions?
Well....I like how they spread the load through such a large area, they are really stout, easy to install, I don't like how low the shock mount is, I don't like the fact that I have had issues fitting shocks with piggyback and remote resi, finally forcing me to hack giant holes(I am sure I could have re-plumbed the piggyback with a remote resi, but the hole method was easier), they are a little pricey, but I don't have a plasma cutter so time is money for me. Overall a good product IMO.
DSCN1031.jpg

DSCN1026.jpg

fdsa487 said:
I see what your saying. Did you have to put the 90* on that bilstein 7100 because it was hitting the spring retainer at the top, or because its hitting the shock conversion piece.
With the straight line there was no way to even mount the shock, the hose coupling would interfere with any direction I tried to mount them at the spring retainer one side and the inner fender on the other side, finally went with the 90* elbow after deciding I didn't want the resis in the engine bay, which was another option.

Skullvarian said:
With the straight line there was no way to even mount the shock, the hose coupling would interfere with any direction I tried to mount them at the spring retainer one side and the inner fender on the other side, finally went with the 90* elbow after deciding I didn't want the resis in the engine bay, which was another option.

Good to know. Thanks, man. Im going to be doing the same in the near future after my cage.

Mounting the resi outside is better for keeping the fluid cool, which is the whole point of having one. ;)

fdsa487 said:
Good to know. Thanks, man. Im going to be doing the same in the near future after my cage.

Mounting the resi outside is better for keeping the fluid cool, which is the whole point of having one. ;)
my buddy actually re-routed his windsheild washer fluid nozzles so he could spray his resis with fine mist during a race, not sure if it helped, but a neat idear. His resis would be scalding hot after a 50 mile lap through the dez, I actually scalded my arm when I was dumping fuel, these are 3" body 18" travel kings also.

Skullvarian said:
my buddy actually re-routed his windsheild washer fluid nozzles so he could spray his resis with fine mist during a race, not sure if it helped, but a neat idear. His resis would be scalding hot after a 50 mile lap through the dez, I actually scalded my arm when I was dumping fuel, these are 3" body 18" travel kings also.

That is kind of funny he got the frekin washer fluid spraying on the resi. :eeks1:
Kings are the Sh*t.
LOL.. you said "Idear."
reminds me of the Dad from OCC

Skullvarian said:

hey Chris, is that front leg of the engine bay cage bent up? I mean it doesnt look like it is a straight down round tube. Kinda looks like the end of the tube was crushed then welded on there. But I Know that it wasnt that way when it left. Have you added any tube? I guess I will see for my self on sun, but just curious..

ROBERTK said:
hey Chris, is that front leg of the engine bay cage bent up? I mean it doesnt look like it is a straight down round tube. Kinda looks like the end of the tube was crushed then welded on there. But I Know that it wasnt that way when it left. Have you added any tube? I guess I will see for my self on sun, but just curious..
just an optical illusion, it is still the same as when it left your house, many moons ago. I still havn't set up the bender, it is asphalt where I want to put it so I have to go to the Carpinteria shop and grab this huge sheet(4'x4') of 1/2" or 5/8"thick(can't remember) Al, the vice and bender will be bolted to that, and then that sheet will be anchored to the asphalt, it gets pretty soft during a hot day so that should be enough surface area to alleviate the bender from toppling. Hey robert, you don't happen to have any small peices of 1.75" ID(2"x.120") tubing do you? I need to sleeve up the A-hoop tie-ins as I had to hack them off to mount the long arms.

Last edited:
Skullvarian said:
depends, what shock mounts do you have? are they eye-eye shocks? Here is what my front mounts look like:
DSCN0976.jpg

DSCN0977.jpg

and here is the original thread I started a while back:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92163&highlight=resi+mounting

Your shock bolts are parell with the axle, it would be better if they were perpendicular with the axle. On articulaiton you may max out the missalignment on your 7100's and brake the little rod end.

ashmanjeepxj said:
Your shock bolts are parell with the axle, it would be better if they were perpendicular with the axle. On articulaiton you may max out the missalignment on your 7100's and brake the little rod end.
I'm not worried about it, thought about it, cycled it, thought about it again, cycled it again, no problems as of now, I am not maxing out the spherical joint at full articulation, there is quite a bit of play on the ends. Thanks for the comment anyway.

Does anyone else have any other spots to mount them up front and what about the rear where did you guys mount those?

i just picked up the edlebrock resi's there not eye to eye they use factory style mount

Last edited:
Back