• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power to weight ratio.

pataterchip

NAXJA Forum User
I thought it would be good to start a thread on the Power to Weight ratio VS armor concernes for our particular Jeep model.
We have several guys doing home builds and other mods and I thought a new thread that somed up everyones feeling on the matter would be very useful.
I have seen and heard guys useing 3/8" thick steel plate for bumper attachment plates I know several that have used .250 wall 4"x6" steel tube bumpers, then added all kinds of plates for winchs, lights, tow hooks, skid plates and the like. I think it safe to say that our jeeps were not intended to pack
2,3,or 4 people
Cooler full of ice and beer :cheers:
48" High lift jack
2, 5 gallon gas cans
33" or 35" full size spare
a tool box full of trail tools
a winch that weighs 100-150 Lbs
a front bumper that weighs 300 Lbs
a rear bumper that weighs 200 lbs
2 amps and 2 12' sub woofers
150 lbs worth of skid plates
80 lbs worth of rock sliders
a roof rack that tips the scale @ 70 lbs (plus whatever you put on it)
1/4" thick quater panel plates
and so on...hasta

And still want great power for steep hill and rock climbs, good MPG, and quick throttle response. I realize that puting in a small block 350 does away with alot of the concern but for those that plan to stay with a I6...

So I want to know what you guys have done to lighten the load, I firmly belive that good engineering and good design are better than brute strength from thick plate and heavy wall tubeing.

To listen to bluegrass

if you want to cut weight just do this......

IMG_2502.jpg

:D

pataterchip said:
I thought it would be good to start a thread on the Power to Weight ratio VS armor concernes for our particular Jeep model.
We have several guys doing home builds and other mods and I thought a new thread that somed up everyones feeling on the matter would be very useful.
I have seen and heard guys useing 3/8" thick steel plate for bumper attachment plates I know several that have used .250 wall 4"x6" steel tube bumpers, then added all kinds of plates for winchs, lights, tow hooks, skid plates and the like. I think it safe to say that our jeeps were not intended to pack
2,3,or 4 people
48" High lift jack
2, 5 gallon gas cans
a winch that weighs 100-150 Lbs
a front bumper that weighs 300 Lbs
a rear bumper that weighs 200 lbs
150 lbs worth of skid plates
80 lbs worth of rock sliders
a roof rack that tips the scale @ 70 lbs (plus whatever you put on it)
and so on...hasta

And still want great power for steep hill and rock climbs, good MPG, and quick throttle response. I realize that puting in a small block 350 does away with alot of the concern but for those that plan to stay with a I6...

So I want to know what you guys have done to lighten the load, I firmly belive that good engineering and good design are better than brute strength from thick plate and heavy wall tubeing.

300lbs. Bumper? Winch 150? huh???

pataterchip said:
2,3,or 4 people
48" High lift jack
2, 5 gallon gas cans
a winch that weighs 90 Lbs
a front bumper that weighs 90 Lbs
a rear bumper that weighs 70 lbs
50 lbs worth of skid plates
50 lbs worth of rock sliders
a roof rack that tips the scale @ 30 lbs (plus whatever you put on it)
and so on...hasta

Yeah,your numbers are way heavy on everything!

I did not go out and weigh everything mentioned, rather was tring to prove a point.

What this thread was meant to dicuss was ways to build strong, but as light as possible bumpers tire carriers, sliders, skids and other armor needed.
Like the use of thin wall 4130 rather than 1/4" 2" sqr tubeing.
Like useing thinner sheet metal with dimple die lightening holes for strength and regidity or cross breaks in it rather than relying on thick sections of steel,
Like formed steel bumpers rather than tube,
The use of aluminum,
I just don't think every thing needs to be built out of plain old 1/4" steel, and as an aerospace welder of 14 years I have done and seen some really good alternatives.
I am not bashing if you feel more comfort able and don't mind the added weight, but thought it would be nice for those who are interested in conserveing weight with out compromising strength.

I wanted to see what you guys have done to implement technology from score truck raceing and other competitive sports, there is a reason that all the compitition rock buggies are tube frames.
When I have the chance I will take some pictures of what I have done in regards to this topic.

Back