• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any tricks to get fenders of ?

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
tried the remove the fenders on my parts jeep to put put on my other one and i cant budge the torx bolts. tried 2 torx bits and both of them just bend whatever way u turn them. any tricks to getting these off ? i dont remeber the bits bending like that on my old jeep but cant remember if i used something else .

if they bend, they must be stripped out.try placing a flat head screw driver to prop it up and unscrew at the same time

My first guess is that the bits are poor quality, and you need better bits. Also make sure you have the right size. Most torx screws will hold a bit one size smaller, but they will behave badly.

Don't bother to try too hard to get the ones off the bottom edge of the fender. They often rust solid. Just grind them off.

When removing a fender, remember that there's a little brace between fender and inner fender, that's pop riveted to the inner fender. It's right about the top of the wheel arch. Chisel that pop rivet off from inside the engine compartment.

A seldom used tool in my box is an impact driver. When you need that special something, like in your situation, it's usually just the help you need. You can pick one up at Sears-Craftsman, that way if the bit goes bad you get a replacement. Looked them up - about $25 for the driver, then a little more for some bits. Used mine a lot when I worked on dirt bikes.

does anyone know the exact size bit make sure i didnt use one a size to small. the screws or bits arent striped i'm guessing poor quality the way they were twisting. the only ones i'm worried about are the top i will probably just grind the rusty bottom ones of.

93xjpos said:
does anyone know the exact size bit make sure i didnt use one a size to small. the screws or bits arent striped i'm guessing poor quality the way they were twisting. the only ones i'm worried about are the top i will probably just grind the rusty bottom ones of.

t27,it's kind of an oddball size.Not all kits come with them,they usualy go from t25 to t30.

There's 5 or 6 torx under the hood holding the fender on to the inner fender wall, 2 torx on the bottom below the rocket panel, and 2 torx in the "door jamb" area.

Then there's the pop riveted support behind the fender and the plastic fender liner,

And then finally, 2 bolts behind the headlight bezel holding the front clip to the fender.

Phew.

yeah i've changed them before on my old jeep just dont remeber having this much trouble but mayby i had a better quality bit. i'm gonna go over and buy one today hopefully i can get one stronger than what i have

Most people just put on larger tires, that usually does the trick :D

PB Blaster and Heat have been working really well on stuck bolts for me this week, worth a shot in this case.

i found a harder t30 bit pounded it in the screws with a hammer got them loose then used the smaller bit that was twisting to take them out once they were loose. same deal putting them back on. didnt even strip any of them.

Back