• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

timing

walton3

NAXJA Forum User
i put a 99 engine in a 96 xj. changed the distributer, the engine wont start. will changer the dist change the timing. i get spark and am getting fuel.
somebody help me out.
thanks

could you be more specific on what you swapped from one engine to the other.

you should use the 96 dizzy in the 99 engine. what flexplate did you use? what procedure did you use to set the distributor?

everything that was on the 96 i put on the 99 so the wires would mathc up. when i set the dist in i just put it in and tightened it down.

Did you set the new engine up to top dead center on no.1 cylinder and point the rotor to no.1 onthe distributor before you put it in,or did you just rip it out of the old motor and slam it in?

walton3 said:
everything that was on the 96 i put on the 99 so the wires would mathc up. when i set the dist in i just put it in and tightened it down.

you need to search for the procedure for setting the distributor when the #1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke.

got it started and it runs pretty rough. then i shut it off checked all fluids. tried to start it but it failed to fire. i started it 2 or 3 times prior and the check engine light came on.
any suggestions
thanks

did you reset the distributor at tdc?

could be 1 tooth or 180 degrees off.

could be alot of things, you swapped an engine.

Back