• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch fan?

willow72

NAXJA Forum User
how do i check my clutch fan? the problem im having is when me and my wife are out going to garage sales my 99 cherokee seems to heat up a little in the short distances between sales and a few times it wont start back up until it cools down around 30 min or so even had it towed to the mechanic 1 time and soon as he dropped off the truck it started right up. i can turn the fan with my hand when its not running and was told that that was not good thanks for any help yall can give me yall seem to know alot about these beasts we call cherokee thanks john

Engine cold= should be able to turn the fan by hand

Engine hot= you can turn the fan by hand but no where as easily

The XJ will shut down when overheated and will reset after it cools, that could be the issue but it will realy be hot to do this.

You should be running around 210 degrees normally.

Rule of thumb, start it cold in the morning and the fan should roar for about a half minute or so then it should quiet down. If there is no appreciable sound DECREASE on a cold motor the fan clutch is *probably* bad.
The test procedure involves drilling a small hole in the fan shroud and sticking a long thermometer into the area between the fan and the radiator. You are supposed to see on the thermometer as it's running a temp increase followed by a temp decrease as the fan clutch engages when hot.
The Practical method, replace the fan clutch. Unbolt the two bolts on the top of the fan shroud and tilt it back out of the way, it has tabs on the bottom that hold the bottom in place. No, you can't lift it up and out of the way, just tilt it towards the engine. Unbolt fans 4 bolts, remove fan, unbolt fan clutches 4 bolts, remove, replace, reverse order. They seem to last about 5 years or so, you're about due, $60 or so at the dealer. If you go after market make sure the fan clutch is the same depth as the original or you will drive the fan into the radiator. Twenty minute or so job, $150-$200 if you have a shop do it.

willow72 said:
it dont seem tobe gettin that hot just a little over 210 what else might cause this non starting issue? thnx john

The CPS(crank position sensor) could be on its way out. The IAC(idle air control) may be sticking. Its hard to say.

Back