• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sye speedo gear housing.

hell

NAXJA Forum User
im confused about the speedo gear housing do you just put the same one in that comes out of your t case? i have an older mech one with the round 4 prong harness that comes out below the cable in the other hole. i found my sye kit at a junkyard and its brandnew out of a mid 90s xj with the newer style speedo housing with the 3 prong connection. im realy confused about what i should do about this.

every sye kit I have seen done (out of the box) used their old speedo gear set up.

what do you do with the stock wireing harness. the sye i have have wont allow me to put the plug anywhere if i use the mech housing.

also does anyone know where to find the rubber washers with the splines that go on the ends of the new shaft. and does the bigger one go on the back of the shaft inside the t case?

i'm not sure if i understand your wording on the cable and the housing.

you should be able to plug everything back in the same way you took it apart. so if you use the original speedo gear housing that was in your jeep, your plug should just plug right back into it.

hell said:
what do you do with the stock wireing harness. the sye i have have wont allow me to put the plug anywhere if i use the mech housing.
Provide pics - your description isn't helping us picture it.

I picked up the "rubber washer" from the dealer. Any Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealer should have them or be able to quickly get them.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

ok heres my current setup with the 4 prong harness.
100_7316.jpg

and this is what the new sye looks like. it came with the 3 prong speedo gear housing and a plug where the 4 prong would go on the stock housing. also can anyone identify this sye kit, it has the green seal around the output shaft at the end of the housing. thanks. also does the bigger rubber gear shaped washer go on the oposite bigger end of shaft back inside of the t case?
100_7313.jpg

100_7316.jpg

the UPPER one is the speedo gear.

the lower one with the 4 prong (those are actually hoses) is your 4wd switch.

now i'm not 100% sure what you do with the 4wheel drive switch on the new housing, but i'm almost wondering if you don't take that bolt out from under where the speedo gear housing goes, and install the 4wd switch in there.

i'll see what i can come up with.

you're saying that the blue, green, red and yellow hose actually have electrical wires inside of them???

what year/make/model/engine/transmission/transfercase and front axle is your jeep???

i know i've been laid up sick for the last 4 days, but i could have sworn that every one of those 4wd switches were vacuum on the jeeps.

You need to disconnect those vacuum hoses and cap them off. Then get yourself a posi-lock. SYE's won't let you reuse that switch. You may have to cut down the shaft that actuates that switch from the inside of the t-case to bolt on that SYE.

You might want to see if you can download Advance Adapters SYE instructions from their website for more help.

i went to a local offroad shop today and he told me i have to have a bypass done on the 4 wheel drive switch, but wouldnt tell me details because "this is how he makes his money" can anyone tell me what is done, im pretty sure the t case i got the kit off of had the switch connection on the top of it next to the front output shaft, but the t case i have has it next to the rear output shaft. will it be even possable to put this sye kit on?

after 2 weeks of searching and searching the internet, shops, dealerships, i finally think i found what i have been looking for.

cut the shaft 1 inch and screw the switch where the plug would go on later models. does this look right to anyone using an 88/90 np231 with the aa sye kit. please tell me this is what ive been looking for.:banghead:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/projects/comanche/sye/

1) congrats and doing your own searching. you'll often times find more answers faster that way then waiting for answers on here. specially if it's 3 am. LOL

2) i do believe that is what you are looking for. which is essentially what i had said above

3) since you seem to know how to search, search for advance adapters website. download the instructions for the SYE. READ IT. READ IT AGAIN. READ IT ONE MORE TIME. that way you know what to do instead of just randomly cutting something off based on a writeup that you found. even though all these transfercases are "basically" the same, there seem to be some very very minor variances in some of them. such as the lenght of that shaft that has to be cut off.

so please do YOURSELF a favor and find the instructions before attempting the install.

Back