• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax 5 and 4.0

asatxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of swapping a 4.0 into my brother's wrangler. Wrangler is a 2.5l with an AX-5. He wants to keep the manual trans. does the AX-5 bolt to the 4.0 or do I need to find an AX-15?
Thanks!!

this is an item you can find tech ALL OVER saying no absolutely not

not even close to the same bellhousing, and an ax5 will not stand up to the 4.0's abuse even as a DD, much less with the possibility of larger-than stock tires.

get an ax15, ax5 will not work

As mentioned above, even if they shared the same bellhousing pattern (they don't), reliability behind the 4.0l is an issue. Just curious, since you mentioned you're already in the process of doing the swap, wouldn't it have been prudent to ask this question first?

lawsoncl said:
As mentioned above, even if they shared the same bellhousing pattern (they don't), reliability behind the 4.0l is an issue. Just curious, since you mentioned you're already in the process of doing the swap, wouldn't it have been prudent to ask this question first?
I am doing this for my Brother. He had the 2.5-ax5 wrangler and got an xj with a 4.0-AW4 for a couple hundred. He changed the plan (drop in the xj drivetrain) and decided he wanted to go manual. I'm in charge of parts location etc. We just pulled the drivetrain from the xj and are going to start on the frame off resto of the YJ. I will be shopping the auto and 242 and hoping to get a AX 15 later this spring.

yeah, better sell the aw4...you won't have much room for rear driveshafts with the aw4 in there, it's quite a bit longer from what i understand.

The AW4 is 1" longer than the AX-15, so not that bad. Something else to consider is that the XJ transfer case is clocked a little lower, so it will hang lower than the YJ counterpart. If you can score a NV3550 from a TJ, I understand they are stronger than the AX15. Not sure on length.

Back