• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BombProof Block Brackets

JNickel101

NAXJA Forum User
From M.O.R.E. - anyone running these?

their website says they wont work with aftermarket headers/exhaust manifolds....?

i have a set of their motor mounts which do work but if u run a banks header like ido they will interfere - you need to do some heavy massaging of the tube to make it fit because the mount mounts on that side of the motor where the header comes through and under the body

I have their mounts, with stock manifolds. I like them, less the increased vibration.

Thanks guys - I'm running their motor mounts....what i'm referring to though is their "new" product. its an engine block bracket. replaces the bracket that attaches to the engine block AND the motor mount itself.

Instead of attaching to the block at 3 points, it attaches at 7 or 8. i'm just wondering how/why this interferes with an aftermarket exhaust manifold. is the banks header that much bigger than a stock manifold?

it is the lines from the front 3 exhaust ports that interfere with the block brackets around the collector, if your header closely matches the stock header then you should have no problem, if you compare how the borla and the stock header differ you will see where they interfere with the block brackets, I have heard that the Gibson header works fine but I ended up using a stock style header.

here is a pic of the area in question:
DSCN0937.jpg

the stock style header the front 3 ports fold under the rear 3, the borla header they merge closer to where the block bracket.
Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks!!!

ooooh, and they're YELLOW...they'll match my OME shocks :)

Don't mean to add to an old question but, does anyone know if the brown dog engine brackets interfere with APN headers? Also I can find anything covering the install of the brackets themselves. I am going to us brown dog rubber mounts and want to change to their super brackets. I have a 91 4.0 HO.

I've had these and unless they changed something I've never been happy with them.

The first one the bushing was to big and would not fit in the stock location and had to trim and cut the crap out of the side of the bushing. Then once installed they slide forward until the metal of the bracket housing and mount hit each other.

Talked to the guy at brown dog and he sent me another set but these has a short bolt through one side driven into part of the bushing. I still had to cut the crap out of the side of the bushing and the bolt did not stop the bushing from sliding forward again but rather just twist the bushing as the side without the bolts want to slide out. They still have moved about .5-.75" inch since installing them.

I've had these and unless they changed something I've never been happy with them.

The first one the bushing was to big and would not fit in the stock location and had to trim and cut the crap out of the side of the bushing. Then once installed they slide forward until the metal of the bracket housing and mount hit each other.

Talked to the guy at brown dog and he sent me another set but these has a short bolt through one side driven into part of the bushing. I still had to cut the crap out of the side of the bushing and the bolt did not stop the bushing from sliding forward again but rather just twist the bushing as the side without the bolts want to slide out. They still have moved about .5-.75" inch since installing them.

Yep, it's all been changed. We have gone to great lengths lately to refine our products for the XJ.

Well I figured I would add to the original post since it is up again. I had to put a small notch in my MORE block bracket to clear a Clifford header. It was not that much work and I can use both.

DSC03800.jpg

Stock Manifold

DSC03801.jpg

Clifford header has one tube that interfears

DSC03802.jpg

DSC03804.jpg

Small notch to clear the tube. It did not need much since the header and bracket move together when the engine moves.

Don't mean to add to an old question but, does anyone know if the brown dog engine brackets interfere with APN headers? Also I can find anything covering the install of the brackets themselves. I am going to us brown dog rubber mounts and want to change to their super brackets. I have a 91 4.0 HO.

Sorry for the late answer...Yes our brackets work with all headers. When you order, There are a few "checkout questions". When you answer "yes" to the header question, we make the header version for you. It allows a lot more room for the exhaust. Why don't we just make that version and be done with it?? Because it is a PIA to make so we only make it for customers who say they have a header...or plan to. There is NO price difference.

I figured I would necro-post. Is anyone running these brackets with a Borla header? :D

To: Squirrel80

Good to know about the MORE mounts. I have them ready to go for my stroker build. I just have to make the same mod mentioned about. No problem. Thanks for the info on the Clifford Headers. I am thinking about using them too.

How do you like them?

Any problems.?

Don't even bother with the Borla headers. I have had problems with mine. Do some research on this site about them then make your decision.

I had, one thing that stuck out was they are the only company that offers a mandrel bent down pipe for use with their header and they are a 2.5" collector. All other headers use the factory down pipe and are 2.25". I know I can get a mandrel-bent down pipe made at a shop but I figured it was easier to get one pre-made. The 2.5" collector would be good for a troker motor. Thank you for your input though. :cheers:

The 2.5" collector will not make a difference when it starts to crack. As far as the tubes with Banks and Borla, they follow stock because they have to bolt up to the stock down-pipe (Cherokee and Wrangler). Borla comes with its own stainless down-pipe, but it is only 2.25". As for Borla and the 2.5" collector, it narrows down to 2.25" so the collector is a moot point. Something like a bottle neck. I ordered a pair of Banks headers as my replacement for the stroker I am building. But after looking at the welds (MIG) on the headers, I realized they were sh*t too. I sold them "un-used" to a guy with a Wrangler. JBA, Clifford, and Doug Thorley seems to have it done right.

Another thing to eliminate potential cracking caused by vibration resonance from the down-pipe would be to put in a stainless "flex joint" somewhere between the collector and the catalytic converter. You can get these from people like JEGS. And yes, with Clifford or Doug Thorley headers you will have to "build" your own down-pipe, or exhaust, before the cat. But this is easily done with people like Jegs or Summit Racing.

I thought the same as you and bought Borla.

But that was before I found this site.

Good luck.

KJ

Last edited:
Back