• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horizontal Oil Filter Adapter

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
92/4.0/AW4

As you can tell by my Jeeps year (92) I have the vertical style oil filter adapter. I would love to switch to the horizontal style for two reasons:

- ease of removing pass. side motor mount.
- 1 qt filter option.

Anyone done this using a late model adapter? Is it plug and play? I have to do my o-rings anyway, so I figured now would be a good time to check into it.

yes bolt on, get the three o rings from the dealer.

Part numbers for the "newer" style horizontal adapter:

Adapter (body) p/n 53020080
Bolt p/n 53020237
O-ring kit p/n 4720363 (I think)
Connector p/n 53007563

Oh and a T-60 Torx bit :)

Hope this helps

MoparManiac said:
92/4.0/AW4

As you can tell by my Jeeps year (92) I have the vertical style oil filter adapter. I would love to switch to the horizontal style for two reasons:

- ease of removing pass. side motor mount.
- 1 qt filter option.

Anyone done this using a late model adapter? Is it plug and play? I have to do my o-rings anyway, so I figured now would be a good time to check into it.

Here is a write up that should answer your questions, just so you know you can just get the connector "nipple" new or at the pick&pull off newer engine and rotate your existing adapter to the horizontal position. pick and pull didn’t charge me for the two connectors I got so the upgrade was free :)

look under "engine" Oil Filter Conversions

http://www.madxj.com/

Jeepsloth said:
Oh and a T-60 Torx bit :)
My 93 required a 9/16 allen head. I had to go to autozone to find one this size (it was in a pack of 3 or 4) and then I had to cut it in half in order to clear the space in there. Also had to remove the engine mount bolt. I put the allen head into a 9/16 box wrench, put a 2 foot lead pipe onto the box wrench and PRESTO! Came out without issue. Same to reinstall.

Here's a pic of my setup.

2293717661_149c6cf2ec.jpg

Another pic of the wrench all rigged up.

2293717635_4cc645fc05.jpg

Finally, a pic of how much I cut the bit down compared to the set I bought. Of course, that's my pipe used to coerce the wrench taking up part of the frame.

2294504692_5e0a5806eb.jpg

Back