• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help choosing another axle for front end

Badride

NAXJA Forum User
I just put some slightly cut 35s on my XJ. I also just broke 4 teeth off the ring gear on the first outing. I put in an Ox locker which let me to to 30 spline axles. I replace the 3.55s with a 4.10 gear and a new set of Warn lockouts which has the good outer axles and Yukon universals. I didn't go lower with the gears because of getting weaker as you go up. I put a Rubicon transfer case in to get me geared a little lower with the 4:1 ratio. I was hoping the 30 would stay together but I was very dissapointed. What is the cheapest upgrade for replacing the front Dana 30? I am open to buying an axle, cutting the tubes to make it the correct width but I would like to stay with a factory axle length so replacements would be easier to get. I for sure would buy aftermarket chromemoly axles. I plan to put a Chevy 350 or 406 in it later so I am just making plans to be ready for the added horsepower but also to be able to make it till then also. I just need some advice on what would be the cheapest route to go and still end up with the correct width.

Why don't you get a J-10 Dana 44 and put in 4.88's in it. That way you won't have to do a V-8 swap, because your I-6 (guessing that you have this and not a 4-banger) can turn the tires fine with some low gears. A Dana 60 and a Chevy 350 make for a really heavy rig with a uni-body for a frame.

Well, the motor runs fine for 90% of the stuff I ride in. It is that little 10% where I want more power. It had 33s with 3.55 gears when I bought it and I wanted to go to a taller tire. So I bought 35s, went to 4.10 gears and even put in a Rubicon transfer case which is 4:1 ratio. I am putting a full inside roll cage in it plus I added a winch to the front air compressor, tank, tool box, chain saw, cooler and other things all cause the weight to go up which drains the HP. I may go bigger with the tires but not right now and I won't even think about it until I get a bigger axle.

Back