• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spliced wire near firewall???Pics

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
After doing a visual I found a gray plug near the distributor that has a black wire with yellow strip that's spliced. Hope someone is pretty familiar with the wiring and can tell me what this wire is for. When I asked the previous owner why this wire is splice, he couldn't tell me. He said that's how it was when he bought it.

Try to follow the blue wire, it has a ring terminal with yellow insulation on the end.

Would be nice to know what it's for... Thanks

JeepPics0003.jpg

JeepPics0006.jpg

looks to me as if someone wanted to add a hot wire. It's not factory. sure noyt brown and yellow, if so then thats for ecu to starter relay. Only blk and yellow I think is the knock sensor,,,,?

Last edited:
stretching my memory, but I think the wire it's spliced into is the ground circuit for the NSS. Was prolly a by-pass for the switch at one point in time

Well based off the '94 FSM, that looks to be the connector to the transmission wiring harness. But it looks like the blue wire leads to nothing at this point, so why not just yank it out, wrap the black wire in tape, and call it a day?

Shorty said:
Was prolly a by-pass for the switch at one point in time
Or still is maybe?

I just checked.
My Jeep doesn't have that wire.

o6juhv.jpg

If you find out what the part number is, please let me know because I really want to install a blue wire going to nothing.
fing34.gif

Shorty is correct...

stretching my memory, but I think the wire it's spliced into is the ground circuit for the NSS. Was prolly a by-pass for the switch at one point in time
TransRangeSensorConnector.gif

That wire is spliced to pin 7...if you connect that wire to ground, it should let you start the engine while it's in a gear...be careful.

Last edited:
That has to be a typo in the FSM, because I looked at the plug on my Jeep and it is definitely gray...That plug in the picture matches up to the connector pic in the FSM, and all the wire colors match in my Jeep to this FSM pinout..that FSM plug diagram is the only one like that, no other circuit uses the same style connector...

Last edited:
Back