• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting problems from 3rd to 4th

Knoxville

NAXJA Forum User
Specs: '98 XJ, 4.0L, AW4

I replaced the neutral/safety switch about 6 months ago in order to get my reverse light working again. All went well and I finally had my reverse lights working. The transmission was shifting just fine at this point.

A few months later, I went wheeling and got stuck in a big mud hole. The water was up to about the NSS (maybe a hair higher). I drove home that day with no problems. The next day, the transmission had trouble shifting between 3rd and 4th. It would bounce around between the two gears (VERY annoying on the highway).

I did a code scan, and came up with P0700 and P0705. The P0700 code is a general code thrown probably because of P0705.

P0705 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)

Looks like the code is related to the NSS. I removed the NSS, cleaned it, greased it, and reinstalled it. Now the transmission won't even try to shift into 4th. My gut say that the transmission computer thinks I'm in 3 all the time instead of D.

Are my only two options at this point to change the fluid and/or buy a new NSS? Let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!

Back