• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mobil ham radio questions

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys I am gona buy one and my wife and I take our exams next saturday so I think it is time to consider what units our socal friends have and what they like and dislike about them. I want what works best in our varying terrain

So the questions are:
1: what unit do you have

2: what made you decide to get it?

3: what do you like about it now that you've used it?

4: what do you not like about it?

5: what antenna do you use?

6: would you buy your set up again?

Thanks guys
Dan

Gerr said:
So the questions are:
TMG707A
Someone selling it at a good price and it being dual band :D
it works when I need it :D
I wish it was a bit more intuitive on the menus
Comet something or other. Chose it for the gain and the height. But... MOUNT is probably more important then the antenna: I took off the first one that I had with a tree :/ I'm thinking about fabbing a different mount now.
Yup cause it works :D

All my answers are about the same as remi...

Differences... I bought a cheap used radio shack rig from Ebay. I bought it because it was the smallest radio I could get for under $100. I like where it fits and how easy the buttons are to figure out. It is only a single band....but it hardly matters to me. I will buy another one for the MJ soon. I also went with a firestick type antenna with a good spring mount on it....it laughs at trees.

Radio is an HTX-242

So the questions are:
Yaesu FT-857d

It gives me all the bands I could possibly need. and has remote face so easy to install.

Works great way more features than I know how to use

I would like true dual recieve and a built in TNC for emergency work and APRS.

HI-Q 5/160
Larson dual band 2m/70cm

I just bought it again the first radio was stolen.

As for terrain, our events are anywhere in the mountains from Aberdeen Washington to the rolling hills in Eastern WA...

ICOM IC2200-H

I was broke, it was cheap. It works good, only 55 watts output though

There's nothing too special about it really, it works just fine though, so I'm satisfied.

I want to get a dual band/dual receiver unit...much more useful for what I do, might not benefit someone like you though.

Larsen 510 NMO on a magmount

If I needed to replace it with a cheap radio yes. I'm more looking into the dual/dual Yaesu's now. In our events we're using up to 6 frequencies at a time, so to be able to use/monitor two at a time would be worth alot to me. ICOM makes decent radios though.

1. Kenwood Tm-2250

2. CHEAP, I mean REAL CHEAP. I never use it on high, only low.(But I believe it is 5 watts low, 40 watts high)

3. Its very basic, I'm not afraid its going to get ruined.

4. Its VERY basic. Its a bit hard to use a 'random' frequency. It almost requires everything to be programmed into it.

5. Larson XXXX(I don't remember), on a NMO hood mount. Too many trees, I need to figure something else out.

6. Not for the Jeep or truck use. Its large bulky and kinda a pain to change to a non-programmed frequency. With the availabilty of better units with more features almost as cheap these days, I'd only look at this radio again if it was $20 and I needed something that day. Or to sit at the campsite and run APRS.

1. Yaesu FT 2200 (mobile), FT 1500M (mobile) and VX-5R (HT). One of these days I will upgrade the FT 2200 to a dual band. The VX-5R is a tri-band.
2. Reputation of this radio manufacturer plus I have previously owned several Yaesu HF radios
3. Great audio on receive and transmit and easy menu access
4. Nothing....
5. Antenna's are a matter of what fits your needs. As for manufacturers.... Larson, Comet and Hi-Q make GREAT antennas. Magnetic or fixed mounts are up to you, but what ever you purchase; go with a dual band antenna.
6. YES....

Icom (IC-207H) Dual Band (2M/440Mhz) with remote face mounted below console.
ic207h.gif

dual band, remote face, it was a gift :D

remote face

no alphanumeric settings on memory channels

whatever was laying around in my dad's garage (über-ham/ex-communications equipment salesman)

iSuppose, but I didn't buy it anyway. Did I mention remote face?

So the questions are:

Yaesu FT1500
Yaesu FT7800 dual band
Yaesu FT8900 quad band
Icom 208H Dual Band <- in the jeep
Yaesu VX2R x 2
Yaesu VX5R

Impulse buys... Really. Good radios, needed one for each car.

They're all good, I kinda lean towards Yaesu though.

Not sure...

MFJ 1729 or 1728 Mag mount on the heep. 34 or 39 bucks, works great.

Yes

Back