• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter failing AGAIN!!!!!

RichieRich

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the story....................Last October I replaced my transmission and TC because the TC was shot. What started as a light ticking noise manifested (over 2 months) into the TC overheating and slipping. In the end, my XJ became undriveable so I replaced the transmission and TC with a good used unit. While replaceing the trans I broke the NSS when I tried to remove it. I had planned on purchasing a new one but have gotten by with it being jumped. One of the things I noticed with the "new" trans was that the TC would not go into lockup. I thought that was just how it is with the new trans and have been driving it like this ever since.

Fast forward to this past week. The TC has started to make the same exact noise that the one I replaced started with. I thought to myself maybe the flexplate to TC bolts came loose so I removed the cover and checked them and all is fine. There are no cracks in the flex plate either. I think the TC is doomed and I'll need to replace it in the next few weeks.

My question is two fold......... Does the NSS being broken and the TC not going into lockup related?? And... Could my ring and pinion ratio (3.55) coupled with the 31" MT's I'm running cause the TC to fail??

I'm at a loss here guys and need to get this problem solved!! I really don't like R&R'ing my transmission and TC every 5 months! Thanks for your help!!

Rich

I'm running 32 mt's w/NP231, chrysler 8.25/dana 30 w/3.55 gear ratio and never had an issue. Been this way for about 3.5 years. So I don't think your tire and gear ratio have anything to do with your problem. What type of fluid are you using in the tc? Are you only burning out your tc? Anything else in your drive train not ssem right. Driveline pitch can stress the output shafts and create a lot of friction.

First off, I should state that the vehicle is a 96 Sport with a 3.5" RE SF kit, AW4, NP231 dropped 1", Chrysler 8.25, Dana 30, 3.55's on 31" MT Baja Claw's. The trans fluid is Dexron 3 and only the TC is affected right now. The trans I replaced in Oct is still good........ it was the TC that was bad. The TC was happy till about a week and a half ago. That was when I noticed the noise - it happened on the highway at about 65 mph. Its a ticking noise that increases and decreases with engine RPM. It's not a light ticking noise but rather loud, and it comes right from the TC.

It's my thought that with the NSS being jumped, the ECU doesn't know what drive range the transmission is in and that doesn't allow the TC to go into lockup. This accelerates the wear in the clutches and the TC starts to self destruct. Does that make any sense to anyone?? Thanks for your help!

Rich

Last edited:
i think maybe the source of confusion is the use of the letters TC. it COULD mean transfer case, or it COULD mean torque converter. being the topic title says torque converter, thats what i would guess you mean. im kinda curious on this one too, i was out noobie wheeling with a friend and may have shown my jeep a little too much love, my torque converter was slipping pretty bad, and i think it was rather hot. after the jeep cooled off, it started to grab good again, but not quite 100%. im wondering will i be facing a similar fate??

Back