• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Grand Cherokee Help.

RaiderX7

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone. Currently i am the proud owner of a 99 XJ. I lover her to death. But anyways my friend sold me his 96 Jeep GC ZJ for 600 bucks. Everything is in good shape except for the tranny is blown. It has a 4.0L with a auto (42RE) and a NV 242 T case. So while trolling online trying to find a junkyard(or some sort) 42RE. Now i found another Jeep GC ZJ for 800 with with a blown engine. I just started emailing the owern. I dont know what engine tranny it has. But what i wanted to know is what(if any) trannys are interchangble. I know the ZJ came with the 42RE that i have but also the 46RE, 44RE and 46RH. Are any of these direct swaps. I signed up on Jeepunlimited. I was going to ask them but i cant post yet and i really need to know asap. Any help would be great. Sorry for asking a ZJ question on hear but i really need help. Thanks alot guys.

Sgt D

I don't know if I'm right, but I remember seeing a 4.0 to the th400 swap somewere, I don't remember where. It would be a great upgrade. You would need a th400 out of a gm 4wd truck, along with the t-case. Like I said, I might be off 180 deg.

It would be a great swap considering the th400 is a great transmission and ultra easy to work on, as well as find parts for.

BillBraski said:
IMHO, the AW4 is a below avg auto trans, as far as durability goes. I have seen too many AW4's changed at work for them to be considered good.
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I mean, mine only has 212,500 miles on it, and there are PLENTY of others out there with similar longevity and strength comments about theirs.

Where do you work that you swap them out all the time? Remind me to stay away from that place and go somewhere that troubleshoots instead of swapping.

Yucca-Man said:
Yeah, you're absolutely right. I mean, mine only has 212,500 miles on it, and there are PLENTY of others out there with similar longevity and strength comments about theirs.

Where do you work that you swap them out all the time? Remind me to stay away from that place and go somewhere that troubleshoots instead of swapping.

LOL!
Well, that ends the debate becuase you have a trans that lasted. Bravo. The AW4 is a heat machine, they die quite often. Talk to a trans tech (Not at ammco or a slash and burn place). BTW, since you asked, the place I work has a great reputation. The shop next door builds pro-mod engines that produce 2000+ hp, we co-op with them through spring/summer becuase of all the orders from teams. I just had a set of camel hump sbc heads milled on their 5-axis cnc mill, for my camaro road racer. I guess we are shade tree mechanics with blown 500 CI engines up here.

Yucca-Man said:
Remind me to stay away from that place and go somewhere that troubleshoots instead of swapping.

Not all problems can be fixed with a ob2 diagnostic. I'm sorry to say cracked housings are expensive fixes.

An AW4 should swap right over, and you can find those some what easily for decent prices.

My 92 XJ has 222xxx miles on it and is still going strong with the original AW4. It shifts smooth and works very well.

160k+ original AW4 no problems whatsoever. Using AMSOIL torque drive tranny fluid, aux tranny cooler. no towing. much smoother after switching to AMSOIL FWIW.

i have 2 with the aw4, one has been through 3 motors and is currently on a 4.7 stroker. Both have over 250k miles. Two different transmission shops around here said just the opposite, if you can break one you were doing something really , because they consider tem somewhat bombproof.

dunno, does your work service specifically jeep vehicles where they would see a larger number of bad trannies,

The major issue will be the computer controller going from the chryslser trans to the aw trans. On the other hand my 97ZJ ECU identifies itself as a 98 XJ ECU, noticed that when I had the chrysler scan tool hooked up and was programming a couple of new key fobs. The possibility there is to swap the AW4 in as well as the ECU from the same year XJ and probably part of the wiring harness.
There is also the possibility of going with a manual tranny on it, look at the firewall on the drivers side, hole is already there for the clutch slave :D and ZJ's did come two years with manual trannies so you can get the hardware for the pedals and such. http://www.nagca.com/forum/ join up and search there, there is an article with a link to the step by step conversion to a manual tranny ZJ, including part numbers needed as well as sources.
As for what trans came with what, if it has a 4.0 it has a 42, any other engine, V8, it has other trannies. OH, the AW4 was actually put in the ZJ for one year, first or second year it came out but there are ones with the AW4 in them.

When I bought my 88 XJ w/ AW4 it had the original trans, the reason that they sold it cheap was because of the 4 quart a day trans oil leak that they would run dry everyday. I bought it thinking it would be toast from being run dry that often, but I fixed the leak and it shifts just fine with 286,000 miles on it. I would say that the AW4 is strong enough for me. BTW that was 5 years ago.

Back