• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why rollcages are so important (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
if a mod is going to delete this, please have the decency to state why to the OP (this may rub you the wrong way since I'm not red, but I will be in the future so long as this post doesn't get deleted). this IS mod tech, and this IS very informative. this IS promoting safe wheeling and hopefully promoting the use of rollcages, though they are highly expensive.

scorpio_vette said:
everybody is OK. no injuries, it turned out to be all good fun. but a 50ish mph barrell roll will DEFINITELY make you appreciate a rollcage.
This happened today at the ice races. Zach still beat me by 1second.

DSC_5424.jpg

DSC_5425.jpg

DSC_5427.jpg

DSC_5428.jpg

DSC_5429.jpg

DSC_5431.jpg

DSC_5432.jpg

scorpio_vette said:
well as of now i only have 2 pictures that were taken during the repairs. but i have to give a HUGE THANK YOU to JR (my body guy who helped out with some of the roof tweaking for a bit), justin (aka hillbilly buddy who's been hanging out at the shop and helping out), bgcntry, jeepcomj, sodaboy and wop_diva. everybody just showed up today to help get this thing looking straight again.
jeepcomj was nice enough to donate a driver side door, driver side rear glass, and a complete rear hatch.
overall we got about 7-9hours into the cherokee and it is actually VERY straight again. ALL of the body lines on the driver side line up perfectly. there are still some spots here and there that are a little tweaked, but for 1 day of "monster garage"ing it, it's amazing. the only thing left to do is find a windshield and then we'll have to tweak the upper a-pillar corners a little bit once we have a windshield to measure it up to.
all 4 doors open and close nicely, and if it wasn't for all the hammer marks and paint missing, you'd think it was just a little trail rash. the XJ definitely has one hell of a battle scar now, but that thing is one mean little soldier.
AlexXJ034.jpg

AlexXJ035.jpg

jeepcoMJ said:
I brought him the doors and glass he needed. bear with me, these are cell phone pics so not that great...
303647218.jpg

303647216.jpg

303647215.jpg

303647214.jpg

303647210.jpg

alex moved in that one...
303647208.jpg

303647206.jpg

after a hard day's work...and a buncha guys helping him out, and me bringing parts and sorta helping with the install...we got it pretty much done. just needs to have the windshield knocked out so the windshield frame can be prepped...then a new windshield put in.
we're thinking a yellow passenger side door will complete the jamaican flag paint scheme...just need the lift gate to be black :D

I would say that he posted it pretty well considering the response he did get. what involves "posting it well enough"? I think that this is some very good info, and some wicked good body skills considering the oh, 7 hours it took to get it in the shape you see it in now...

Moderators answer only to the board for their actions. OP's may receive a PM, but its discretionary.

This thread is not modified tech, its off-topic, or may perhaps be advanced tech assuming some tech eventually ends up in the thread...

it was removed from the OP's capability to post. considering the OP's status, it should be retained where it was posted...and fact of matter is that a roll cage IS modified tech, and it shows how a mod. such as a rollbar can help save your life.

my posts were dropped because it was moved, or removed. I also am certain that his were too.

it may not be "tech" as far as "how to install something", but it's tech as far as getting to show the importance of rollcages, and how rollcages can seriously save your hide.

after all, rollcages are "modified", because they don't come like that from the factory. and not all rollcages are advanced fab since there are bolt in cages like the one from rockhard.

my posting this, i was mainly hoping to help raise a little bit of awareness for people who may not have considered cages yet, but like wheeling their rigs with others who push to their limits. i make it a point to purposely wheel with friends sitting on 1-ton drivetrains with 39's +/- tires and so i know that sooner or later something will go wrong. which is why i wanted a cage.

for the newbs........a wise man that i know once told me: "it's not IF you roll. it's WHEN you roll".

Jeepcoml: LOL You are sad because your post count went down... :(

Soooo. What is the problem? I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason that it was moved/deleted or what ever happened to it. Posting it up again is going to do absolutley nothing but make that Mod mad... I know it would me.

Scorpio_Vette: Everyone wheels with people with 39" +/- tires... lol Mine are 39s - 6". :)

Last edited:
lowrange2 said:
LOL You are sad because your post count went down... :(

Soooo. What is the problem? I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason that it was moved/deleted or what ever happened to it. Posting it up again is going to do absolutley nothing but make that Mod mad... I know it would me.

i don't give a dang about my post count. it's a thread i have interest in, and a mod...1 person...judged it shouldn't be here. fact. it's modified tech to have a rollbar in your cherokee. fact, any idiot can build a rollbar if they have a bender and a tape measure..so it's not advanced tech.

as for making you or the Mod mad...i'm not trying to. they've made me unhappy, because i'm thinking of investing in this forum, and it doesn't seem like the forum cares much for it's members. if i were to post this as a red member, in a advanced tech or off topic, then only paying members could comment or learn from it...i think everyone needs to learn from these scenarios.

....another teensy point.

as a paying member...the mods technically have to listen to you...reason being you've invested stock in their "company". this is just business and pretty trivial, and no i'm not trying to push buttons or anything...but technicalities are here

now ain't it amazing scorpio walked away because he had the whim to go and get a rollcage, and fit it into his cherokee. wow, that's amazing modified tech. i'm sure glad he did it, cause he's a great guy and a HUGE contribution to the jeeping community where we're from.

lowrange2 said:
okie dokie! Not arguing with ya... tis gunna be deleted/locked.

well, I sure hope not. because for everything this is worth, this is an informative thread. not all of us are high and mighty and driving built rigs already...some of us actually are where you started. and those of us who are, want to learn and have a guiding hand in this. if you can't understand that, your loss. enjoy your VAST depth of knowledge and your most WISE judgement. :laugh:

I didn't say it was good info. It is. I just think you should have handled it differently.

Edit: Wait, I thought I wasn't arguing anymore...wtf

we're not arguing. never were. we're exploring points of view

I thought it was fine where it was at. I came back to it to see what else was posted, but I guess I can't now.

jeepcomj said:
if a mod is going to delete this, please have the decency to state why to the OP
You/He can pm me... you have both already created more work for me in this volunteer position. I'm not going to seek out every misplaced post and explain what most users already know.

jeepcomj said:
(this may rub you the wrong way since I'm not red, but I will be in the future so long as this post doesn't get deleted).
rolleyes.gif

jeepcomj said:
this IS mod tech, and this IS very informative. this IS promoting safe wheeling and hopefully promoting the use of rollcages, though they are highly expensive.
Well, if you decide to become a member, you can volunteer for this position and you can decide what is or isn't Mod-Tech.

Billy

scorpio_vette said:
it may not be "tech" as far as "how to install something", but it's tech as far as getting to show the importance of rollcages, and how rollcages can seriously save your hide.
The tech forums are for leaning how to do things. Do we need a thread in Mod-Tech to show the importance of tires in driving your jeep?

scorpio_vette said:
after all, rollcages are "modified", because they don't come like that from the factory. and not all rollcages are advanced fab since there are bolt in cages like the one from rockhard.
The question is not whether or not it's "Modified"... the question is whether or not it's "Tech". That's why we try to get rid of the posts that say, "I just lifted my Jeep... here's a picture of it". Yeah... it's "Modified", but it's not "Tech"

scorpio_vette said:
my posting this, i was mainly hoping to help raise a little bit of awareness for people who may not have considered cages yet, but like wheeling their rigs with others who push to their limits. i make it a point to purposely wheel with friends sitting on 1-ton drivetrains with 39's +/- tires and so i know that sooner or later something will go wrong. which is why i wanted a cage.
It was a good post, with excellent intentions and I really wish I could have moved it somewhere instead of deleting it, but it doesn't belong here.

Billy

jeepcomj said:
and a mod...1 person...judged it shouldn't be here.
:wave: That is my job. Did you think we should vote on every misplaced thread (and include non-supporting users in that vote I'm sure)?

jeepcomj said:
and it doesn't seem like the forum cares much for it's members.
Members or Users??? If I/we didn't care much for our members, why the hell would I volunteer for this? Do you think I get paid? Do you think I enjoy cleaning up after people? The only reason I volunteer for this position and the only reason I pay my dues is because I care about our members and this organization.

jeepcomj said:
if i were to post this as a red member, in a advanced tech or off topic, then only paying members could comment or learn from it...i think everyone needs to learn from these scenarios.
Anyone can learn from threads in either of those forums. Besides, that's your opinion and it wouldn't even change anything if I agreed with you.

jeepcomj said:
as a paying member...the mods technically have to listen to you...reason being you've invested stock in their "company". this is just business and pretty trivial, and no i'm not trying to push buttons or anything...but technicalities are here
bsflag.gif
:laugh2:
bsflag.gif
bsflag.gif

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back