• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what you're using, and what you recomend

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
So, today I made a run to the junkyard just to see whats laying around. I picked up some shock boots off a set of ranchos, some electrical stuff, trans crossmember and best of all, a set of hi-performance spark plug wires.
But, my buddy found them, so i gave them to him. And it just so happens to be that its time for a new set of wires on my rig. The stock ones have seen better days.

So for my questions. What wires are you guys and gals running?? What size wires???..the ones my buddy found are 7.5mm. What is recomended?? does a thicker wire out perform a thinner wire???.... and last but not least, will my gas milage improve if I get a set of new wires??

wires are pretty much wires. If you are running a stock ignition then run stock wires. If you want to, drop the extra 10 bucks and get the parts store premium brand with the lifetime warrenty.

Gas milage will probably not change at all. High performance wires are a supporting mod not a hp gaining one. for instance, if you upgrade to MSD6al, with ultra high output coil and great spark plugs, then you boost or turbo the car, then the really nice set of wires will help. Otherwise, save the money and use it for gas

and anyone who claims that a bigger wire gave them milage is not considering the complete tuneup that probably went along with the change

original wires were 7mm IIRC. The thicker wires are usually just a thicker insulation that will allow the electricity to remain in the wire instead of arcing to other components.

In a stock ignition system, quality 7mm wires are more than enough and you'll likely not notice any performance gain from thicker. The gas mileage will increase with new wires to the extent that the old ones are loosing spark, but above original mileage would require fuel/spark delivery modifications.

an aftermarket ignition (MSD, Mallory, Jacobs) will provide a higher voltage and cleaner spark through a broader range of opperation. From this, you can gain easier starting and improved combustion where the original ignition system is weak. My experience with Jeeps is that the relatively low RPM power band of these engines will probably not respond much better to the extra spark. It may start easier (always a plus), but you'll prolly not justify the cost of the ignition in performance gain.

use the $$$$ that you're not spending on ignition box for the highest quality OEM style tune up products (Mopar, Bluestreak, even AC Delco) and rest assured that you'll come out ahead in the cash department with an ignition system that's not gonna need constant attention.:eeks1:

An improvement I found for my 88 was to get the Main wires from 5-90 or make your own(I found it was easier and cheaper to get them from him) and they certainly helped with my lighting, and overall electrical.

No I mean for your grounds, alternator, main hot. he uses big ol welding wire, nice brass and copper connectors, huge fuse. Excellent for those who are running extra electrical.

I use a Accel coil, wires, cap and rotor and it has improved my MPG and performance. The coil helps out a lot. I would use MSD on my Jeep, but the price for a set of wires is 80$ and won't net much, if anything. A aftermarket ignition controler would be were its at. You can have a rev control, better and stronger spark, and much more easy starting. But its a pain in the ass on a EFI Jeep I would imagine. Although, I have seen a HEI conversion kit (GM), but it would effect the EFI so much you cant use EFI. I wonder if a well hogged out head, larger valves, higher compression, port matched intake, large boomstick cam, with a 600 cfm carb would give some high rpm power?

A freind told me I should get a Nissan Skyline RB30 inline 6, and drop it into a jeep. With a good turbo you can see 400 hp at the wheels!

I see you have a '90 also.

Run-of-the-mill standard resistor plugs are good enough. I run Bosch Supers, they work fine.

Next time at the J-Y, run through the fords and get a set of Bosch injectors off a 4.8 or 5.0 engine. The old stock injectors develop external leaks, and fires.

Just for a heads-up, do NOT remove the fuel line from the fuel rail. Putting it back on takes a $20 dealer only part. If it leaks, then you have to go that route.

Good luck!

The Prices are on his website. Personaly I think they add a hell of alot. I got them after I burned up my main power wire running the highbeams on my h4 headlights and hella 500 spots at the same time. Ended up driving 75 miles off of the battery alone. not a great ride at night.

norcal,

My $0.02.

On the original question. Stay away from after market ignition, the gains are offset by the time you need to constantly dink and tweak these set-ups. I treid that in m y younger days with an old CJ, finally just dumped in a GM HEI and was through having to screw with the mallory. Go with a higher grade manufactured stock set up. I like AC-Delco best.

PM Jon (5-90) and he can custom up a set for your needs. I no longer have access to a bunch of shop tools since switching jobs so can't do my own cables. Jon will do my next set for the winch & jumper cable. Like previously stated 5-90's wires are quicker and easier than gathering all the necessary components and fabbing my own. I have the technical brain power, just not the tools. He also supplies military style or marine style terminals that allow easy addition of more circuits. While in discussion with him regarding the wires for the extra lights don't forget the probablility of a charging system upgrade.

good luck,
Tom

Last edited:
Back