• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SCARY lift

94XJ2door5speed

NAXJA Forum User
Today was a pretty nice day and i was doing some work on the rig when a noticed a fellow XJ'er working on his. His was a '93 looked to have 6" of lift, a winch, roof rack, tons of trimming, 33's, and a highlift(all stuff i want). I asked him about his lift and sorta got sick to my stomache when he told me what it was; He had 4" lift blocks with 2" lift shackles and stock leaves, and 3" poly spaces with stock coil springs and those really cheap things you put in between the coils to strech them out about 2"s to lift it, for like a snow plow. He does however have a Tera Lo 4:1 in the t-case and JKS quick dico's. So in my head i see the coil spreaders snaping under any sort of articulation and leaf spring snaping axle wrap with the lift blocks. Am i about right in my predictions? I do however wanna know could you run ladder bars like on the big fullsize pickups or are they just gonna get hung up on everything bigger than a road side curb? I want to lift my Jeep as cheap as possible but not in the event of sacrificing my well being.

94XJ2door5speed said:
Today was a pretty nice day and i was doing some work on the rig when a noticed a fellow XJ'er working on his. His was a '93 looked to have 6" of lift, a winch, roof rack, tons of trimming, 33's, and a highlift(all stuff i want). I asked him about his lift and sorta got sick to my stomache when he told me what it was; He had 4" lift blocks with 2" lift shackles and stock leaves, and 3" poly spaces with stock coil springs and those really cheap things you put in between the coils to strech them out about 2"s to lift it, for like a snow plow. He does however have a Tera Lo 4:1 in the t-case and JKS quick dico's. So in my head i see the coil spreaders snaping under any sort of articulation and leaf spring snaping axle wrap with the lift blocks. Am i about right in my predictions? I do however wanna know could you run ladder bars like on the big fullsize pickups or are they just gonna get hung up on everything bigger than a road side curb? I want to lift my Jeep as cheap as possible but not in the event of sacrificing my well being.
that homeboy is just asking for trouble when it comes to that lift :/

Holy Crap Batman!!!!:scared: 4" lift blocks?!?!?!?!?:scared: :scared: You need to go back over there and.......:twak: !! The 3" coil spacers are dangerous too!!:twak: :twak: I hope he is not a member here, that is just scarry!!:peace:

Well...

I wouldn't do it that way, though I have seen FS trucks with large lift blocks.
When you move your axle so far fron the spring, yah, you increase spring wrap because you increase the leverage against the center of the spring.

Coil spacers (on top of the spring) are not bad, but they limit the amount of available compression compared to the height of the lift.
Spacers between the coils are a bad idea because they spit out when the spring extends fully. You are also correct that under stress, they could deform and spit out on the next extension.

Considering the amount of money he has spent on goodies like the Lo kit ( or perhaps it is because he spent so much on goodies) it makes it difficult to believe he does not have $500 for safe components to put into his suspension.

Load him up with websites that should how to lift a Cherokee and hand him a catalog of lift kits. He doesn't have to buy the whole lift, but decent springs would be a good start. He may tell to take a flying Fuc, but atleast you tried.

Nix the traction bars. IMO, traction bars belong on race cars and not much else.

Last edited:
Good i'm not the only one who thinks so then! I was gonna ask him to wheel with me(he has winch i don't)yeah ummmmm NOT ANY MORE!

If my brother could find his way out of Georgia I would swear that you had met him. Except he won't even buy spacers, he and his friends make coil spacers out of pipe. He had a fullsize chevrolet that had 8inches of lift blocks stacked in the rear. He had an XJ(w/wornout Renix and a 5speed) that had about 7-8 inches of homemade lift with stock tcase, stock rear dshaft, 3.07 gears and 35s. Everytime he drove it the angles killed his rear Dshaft. He said it had too much "horsepower". You gotta love dumbasses.

xjhiker said:
If my brother could find his way out of Georgia I would swear that you had met him. Except he won't even buy spacers, he and his friends make coil spacers out of pipe. He had a fullsize chevrolet that had 8inches of lift blocks stacked in the rear. He had an XJ(w/wornout Renix and a 5speed) that had about 7-8 inches of homemade lift with stock tcase, stock rear dshaft, 3.07 gears and 35s. Everytime he drove it the angles killed his rear Dshaft. He said it had too much "horsepower". You gotta love dumbasses.

That is funny!!:roflmao:

Yeah you know how everyone swears that over 4"s of lift on an XJ needs a SYE. I have a friend back home she has 6"s and she doesn't have a SYE kit and her rig has never given her problems. She mainly plays in the mud but when you look at it maybe [ ] that much right there is actually in the t-case(very very uncomforting to know) Waiting for it to fall or strip out.

SYE's all depend on the Jeep. My friend the same year XJ I do set up simularly, he is at 8" of lift w/ stock drive line and no sye, he has no vibrations untill 80mph. Before my SYE I was at 6.5 in lift and the vibrations were horrible at 70 mph.

Well i can't exactly go over there and ask the guy "Hey can i take pics of your hack job suspension lift to put on a website for people to mock and say how horrible it is."

94XJ2door5speed said:
Well i can't exactly go over there and ask the guy "Hey can i take pics of your hack job suspension lift to put on a website for people to mock and say how horrible it is."

:roflmao:

In all seriousness, he likely doesn't realise how horrible and more importantly, how dangerous his suspension is. On the same note, he's likely dumber than a bag of wet hammers to have set it up that way in the first place.

But pics would be priceless. Just pull over on the shoulder next time you drive by his place, sneak up and take a few pics, then come back here and post them.:)

A lot of people just want to get their ride up in the air, they don't know much about how something can affect everything or just don't care. Ten years ago nobody cared about articulation, etc, they just wanted the tallest truck. A co-worker bought a 1st gen Bronco a few months ago with 5 inches of body lift. I tried to explain to him that it wasn't a great setup, but all he cared about was that it cleared the tires. His wife didn't like climbing up in it, so he had the lift taken out. To each his own I guess.

There was ranger that stop into work once that had a scray lift. It was huge for height. It look like he had a 4 suspension lift and about 10 hockey pucks stack for every bolt that held the body on.

There also a kid in town that has like a 93 dodge ram that has 6 lift blocks on it. It had ladder bar too when he bought it but took them off.

do it, people love to look stupid, have you ever been to youtube?

I swapped in stock ramcharger springs in my rear end for a little lift and 2" coil spring spacers, but mine is a daily driver that gets limited time off road, and even then it is on the sand.

Back