• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle shim?

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Now before the flaming :flame: starts i want to make it clear i have searched but to no concrete conclusion.

i am going to be installing a 3.5RE lift w/full rear leafs. sometime in the very near future. the kit doesnt come with axle shims. and i know for a fact that i am going to need them seeing as i am just going to be getting a longer slip yoke for the t-case. so my angles are going to be all out of whack. i really would like to have some idea of what shims to purchase because this is my DD and i just put in ALL new u-joints in front,rear,and axle shafts. i dont want to hurt my rear joints by driving on bad angles for too long. so i wanna have the shims ready for when the lift goes on.

now for the big Question. What degree shims do those who have installed this lift used?

FYI: vehicle is a 94 XJ 4door, NP231 case, chrysler 8.25 rear.

you shouldnt need anything, I ran 5" all last year with just full leafs and stock shackles with the stock drive shafts and slip yoke and didnt have any problems. I did have a 1" tcase drop though. Now i run an sye with 6 deg shims and got rid of the t-case drop. Id say try to run it as is. if you get any vibes drop the t-case an inch and you would be good to go.

With my D35, I needed no shims at all.

With my D44, I suddenly needed 6*.

I would have thought your search would have told you the same thing these three replies are telling you:

Every Jeep, every lift, every situation is a little bit different. You'll just have to install the lift and measure to find your angles.

Sorry, but there's just no better way.

Robert

I was told to get 4 degree axle shims when I put on the same kit you're getting. I dropped the t-case but that didn't solve my vibe problems, and I don't think they're gonna go away unless I get a SYE...btw, my XJ is a 1999 4-dr, NP231 and Chry 8.25 also.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

A tc drop and 4*shim doesn't sound right. You need to get an angle finder and get pinion parallel with output!

I have about 4.5 inches of lift and I am running 2.5* shims and a t-case drop kit. All of my vibes are gone now. I am running v8 ZJ coils with JKS ACOS, and the XJ leafs with a Durango main and 1.5" daystar shackles.

Doesn't matter, year , leafs, shackles, how fat you are, all matters :) Get an angle finder, check you caster at the same time.

RyanM said:
Doesn't matter, year , leafs, shackles, how fat you are, all matters :) Get an angle finder, check you caster at the same time.

:clap:

Robert

Well i guess from the different experiences here show that pretty much all xj's are different in what Degree shims you use even if you do install a SYE. I should be able to find someone with an angle finder seeing as i am a mechanic @ a chevrolet dealer. if i remember correctly there is a thread here in NAXJA that shows how to find the angles correctly. i mean its not really brain surgery.

BTW this is the first Lift Kit i will be installing in one of the many vehicles i have owned. Almost every other one has been Lowering. so the height "change" isn't that new to me, exept that i will be going up instead of down. All the other vehicles have riden like poo, and i dont want this one to either. i would like to make it ride as smooth as possible, and i know its possible. just dont use cheap parts and i should be ok.

So what do you all think of this scenario for this Lift?
3.5 RE super ride w/RE shocks ( i think the mono tube )
Porc SYE
TNT track bar
TNT belly pan in the future (few months)
31x10.5x15 (already installed) - i know "trim the fenders" , i will be doing that.

that should be a good start, no? :cheers:

thanks for all the replies guys and gal (dont wanna offend anyone) ;)

law.74 said:

very nice page find there! makes absolute sense. i already knew that the angles would be far off when i did lift it but i guess it will be worse than i expect.:gag:

i think i will wait till i get all my parts i need before installing anything. that way, one shot and done. :cheers:

RyanM said:
add 2 piece drive shaft to that :repair:

i have that on my list here in front of me, just forgot to add it when i posted. :doh:

Back