• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More help needed...

SanDiegoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I got the Jeep running again after the fire, but I took it in for smog and it failed. The guy said it was running hot and the problem was most likely due to a cooling system issue or a bad 02 sensor (NOx was off the charts, everything else was honkey dorey). So after some searching, I saw a thread about an intake leak raising the NOx readings....I figured I'd go and retorque the header/intake, which it needed, but in the process also noticed that my coolant leak is coming from a freeze plug. =(

Are these hard to change? And is anyone available to lend a hand, some guidance, and perhaps a place to work on it?

As always, any help is much appreciated!

Changing freeze plugs are pretty easy.. But getting to them can be a pain.. If you tap one side of the plug, the opposite side should pop out. Then you can use needle noses to pull or a screw driver. If that doesn't work, you can puncture a hole in the plug, them do whatever you can to pry it out.

Installing them is just a matter of tapping them in evenly. A wooden dowel is preferred.

I'm up in Lakewood - kind of far from you..

Are you able to get to it or is it in a tight place??

I heard that a bad EGR can cause high NOx readings.

E

bring it over I'm near quailcom I'll help you

Last edited:
homebrew said:
bring it over I'm near quailcom I'll help you

Well I'm headed to the Junkyard now....missing an intake bolt near the number one cylinder...hoping that's my NOx error. All but one of the others needed tightening too, so hoping an intake leak was my failure cause.

And I got a date tomorrow I don't wanna be all greasy for....but you got any plans on presidents day? If you're not working, I'll bring the jeep, the pizza, and the beer....even have some tools, but not necessarily what we'll need.

any day but monday I have duty and wont be home. When is the last time your cat was replaced?

And how long does it take to swap out a freeze plug? And is it foolish to swap one and not all at once? The kit is less than $10. I figure it takes 2 beers to let the engine cool down, 1 beer to drain the fluid, from there I'm at a loss....maybe if my date is quick I can come over in the afternoon...don't think there will be any light today....trying to finish this beer before I run to Ecology for that damn intake bolt.

SanDiegoXJ said:
And how long does it take to swap out a freeze plug? And is it foolish to swap one and not all at once? The kit is less than $10. I figure it takes 2 beers to let the engine cool down, 1 beer to drain the fluid, from there I'm at a loss....maybe if my date is quick I can come over in the afternoon...don't think there will be any light today....trying to finish this beer before I run to Ecology for that damn intake bolt.
Your best bet is to replace all the plugs. There is a tool designed for that purpose but I destroyed a tool trying to remove one. I haven't replaced one on a 4.0 so I don't know how hard they are to get to.

Back