• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch noises

bigjeepman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a nosie coming from the area around my clutch when i push my foot in on the pedal that sounds like a fan coming in contact with something metallic. Also my clutch fluid is getting gray. i drove the jeep to work today hoping to make sure evrything was good for wheeling in two weeks and this happens on the way here.

Please help me verify that I need a new slave cylinder and maybe a new clutch and nothing worse. Also please help me verify what tranny I have. My book makes me think AX-5

1991 Jeep Cherokee
4.0 Liter from a 1997 Zj that had an auto tranny
original 5-speed

You should have an AX15...

From Jeep Horizons:

Manual Transmissions

AX4 - 4 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used 84-86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines
T4 & T5 - 4 & 5 speed manual - manufactured by Borg Warner - used 84-86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines
BA10/5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Peugot - used only up to 89
AX5 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 2.8L V6 and 87+ with 2.5L I4
AX15 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by Aisin - used with 4.0L I6 engines
NV3550 - 5 speed manual - manufactured by New Venture - used in 00-01 in SE models with 4.0L I6 engines

Back