• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj stumbling

luvgpn

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, since I received such great help trouble shooting my stumbling issue through this web site I thought I would contribute my story.

First off I recently bought a 1988 xj, renix 4.0, AW4, NP231.

Since I hadn't had any history with the vehicle it took some time to reilize I was having a stumbling problem. Initally, at approx 2000rpm the jeep would fall on it's face (totally die) then as I would apply more throttle it would down shift and power through.

I started with the fuel fitler first, no change.

Then added fuel system cleaner to the gas tank. Ran the tank to empty, still no change. Still on the dirty fuel system, injectors etc idea, read about seafoam on this site, so tried it. Jeep seemed to have more power but stumble hadn't changed.

Next, checked the TPS. The information I had indicted that if it read approx .08 Volts with key on between terminal B and A it was good. It showed this so I moved on.

O2 sensor....... Checked to ensure it was switching properly. It would switch between approx 1 and 4 volts. My understanding at the time was this indicated it was good. Tried disconnecting 02 sensor (because I had read if the problem goes away it's the 02 sens) and the problem went away..... damn it, I thought it showed good with the volt meter.....

Ordered a 02 and TPS sensor. Used the TPS as back up if the 02 didn't fix it. Changed out the TPS first. Not sure why now, maybe I was unsure what my trouble shooting had shown. Set it up using the 80% method indicated on this site. Problem changed from a all out bog to a slight bobble at approx 1800 and 3000 rpm. Better, happy about that but still there.......

Next had a look at the grounds behind the dip stick. The insulation on the battery neg had melted off within 6 inched of the block. So replaced it and cleaned everything up. No change.

Started talking with Ecomike on here and he said the 02 disconnection should be a lock but gave me some other things to test the 02 sens for. He said at op temp it should settle down to approx 2.5 volts. Mine was not doing this, it continually switched between approx 1 and 4 volts. So, between that information and the fact that the jeep ran fine with the 02 disconnected I swapped it out. Problem solved!!!! Jeep runs great now.

Issues that contributed to trouble shooting. Had just brought the jeep. Had no history with the jeep as far as performance and fuel mileage. My wife drives it 3 kms and back from work daily. So bad fuel economy didn't really show up. And thrid, I wasn't driving it daily so it was hard to get a real good feeling for the problems.

Hope this helps someone else. In the end I think it was a combination of things. Good luck trouble shooting your problem.

Back