• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much lift can stock shocks take ??

96_Busted_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been of some debate. First off, the truck will be on-road at all times until the new shocks, BPEs, and bump stops are on. Can i run it temporarily? I wanted to get some insight from people actually running 3" or around 3" of lift. Is the actual shock too short even form short use? I just want to throw my springs are leaf pack on and deal with the shocks in a couple weeks. I know 2" is abou the most you should technically run. But, i'm talking more practical.
thanks in advance
Anthony

3"? No, especially in the rear. And before you buy any shocks that are advertised for 0-3" lift, get the compressed and extended measurements and compare to stock measurements. Most of those shocks are dang near if not the stock shock measurements. Check out the bottom of my tech article where I give some shock numbers to get you in the right direction:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

GottaBeJeep said:
3"? No, especially in the rear. And before you buy any shocks that are advertised for 0-3" lift, get the compressed and extended measurements and compare to stock measurements. Most of those shocks are dang near if not the stock shock measurements. Check out the bottom of my tech article where I give some shock numbers to get you in the right direction:
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Damn that was you? Great write up ! Yea i was thinking to get the
Gabriels with BPEs
Front - G63511
Rear - G63660

I just wanted it lifted asap. Also i wanted to split the job. Deal with the shocks next week.

I put a 2" Budget Boost in the rear of my XJ and had to drive it like that for awhile. The stock shocks were almost fully stretched with a 2" AAL in place.

You might want to hold off ordering shocks until you cut your shock mounts and move them up closer to the axletube though. Then you can measure.

Back