• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another starting problem

Taylorxj88

NAXJA Forum User
when i turn the key into the start position it just makes a whining noise.
sounds like just the starter is going and it doesnt sound like its even touching the engine.
im thinking its the starter but im not sure
what do you think?

in my experience that sounds like a starter sulenoid not working. when i was in college and poor i had a car that would do that. i carried around a hammer in the car and i would have to tap on the starter a few times but then it would work. i did this for months but it eventually went out "all the way" and i had to replace it. try the hammer thing for now and go from there.

^ x2. Sometimes you have to hit it pretty hard to get it to "unstick."

The starter solenoid is what allows to starter to disengage once the engine is started. It's got either a little electromagnet or a screw shaped shaft. The idea is that when you power the starter, the electromagnet extends the gear on the end of the starter and allows it to engage the gear teeth on the engine flywheel. Then once the engine is started and you let the key back to the "run" position, the electromagnet turns off and the starter gear is spring loaded back so it disengages from the flywheel.

Back