• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator battery cable

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
The thick postive battery cable that goes to the starter on my '91 corroded and broke off from the terminal connector. NAPA has the cable for $75. I'm not going to pay that much for a cable. Is there a cheaper fix? This is my DD so I need a quick, local fix.

Last edited:
NAPA sells stock 6-ga replacements for $12 ea. I'm replacing my positive and negative battery cables tomorrow with 2-gauge and picked up everything I needed at Tractor Supply Co and Advance Auto - the only thing from Advance was a crimp-on terminal end connector for the block ground end of the 2-ga cable. Total was $40 out the door.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of making your own cables, I'd pick up a set of 4-ga pre-terminated, 38" or 40" long should do it. No more than $30 at Advance and you won't have to do any crimping or cutting. I would spend a few extra bucks and replace them both while you're at it, if one went crappy the other isn't far behind! You might need to pick up a 6 or 8 gauge jumper to go from the positive terminal over to the starter relay, for some reason the pre-terminated ones I saw had really small jumper lines on the positive end, looked like maybe 10 gauge and I think the factory is at least 8-ga for the jumper to the starter relay.

Crusher16 said:
The thick postive battery cable that goes to the starter on my '91 corroded and broke off from the terminal connector. NAPA has the cable for $75. I'm not going to pay that much for a cable. Is there a cheaper fix? This is my DD so I need a quick, local fix.

Thats NAPA for you, everythings at shop prices, marked up way too much.

BillBraski said:
Thats NAPA for you, everythings at shop prices, marked up way too much.
i agree. while some of their parts are better quality. their prices are high retail. try a discount autoparts store like mentioned above.

Hmmm, I was wandering around Advance Auto parts the other day and noticed they carry some pretty knarly and heavy battery cables including clear coated ones. Guess the tuners up here have created a demand....lotta gold bling bling clamps too..

I got some 2ga from work some ends and new bat clamps. I work at O'Reilly auto so here are there part #'s that I uses. venders are BWD(borg warner) and SS(super start)
2 military spec bat clamps BWD- BH315p and Bh315n
6' (wanted extra) BWD-BCW102 (neg cable(blk))
6' (wanted extra) BWD-BCW102R (pos cable(red))
3 packs ( 1 pack is extra just in case) of SS-01407 battery ends
I had the heat shink all ready so I caanot remember the number but it is by BWD or SS aswell. Tey might have to pull out the BWD or SS wiring book to find it though. I'll try to get the number at work tonight. Befor it shrinks it is huge but it does shrink down to size.
here are the installed pics 1st is at battery 2nd is at ground connection. Its better than stock and not to expensive. enjoy
batterywiring001.jpg

batterywiring002.jpg

Shorty said:
you work at O'Reilly and use a Wal Mart battery???:moon::roflmao:

Yup the battery was in there when I bought the Jeep though. It works sofar so no need to change it yet. If you notice it has the wrong terminal configuration also. The neg. is suppose to be by the fender not the pos. cable. And the heat shrink tubing I used was BWD-HST10, they come in 6" long pieces.

magimerlin said:
Yup the battery was in there when I bought the Jeep though. It works sofar so no need to change it yet. If you notice it has the wrong terminal configuration also. The neg. is suppose to be by the fender not the pos. cable. And the heat shrink tubing I used was BWD-HST10, they come in 6" long pieces.

Easy fix........Disconnect cables, disconnect hold down, lift battery and rotate 180 degrees. Now connect hold down and cables and WaaaLaaaa you have correct terminal configuration!:doh: :gee: :D

ColoradoRaptor said:
Easy fix........Disconnect cables, disconnect hold down, lift battery and rotate 180 degrees. Now connect hold down and cables and WaaaLaaaa you have correct terminal configuration!:doh: :gee: :D

Yes I understand that. Look at the pic and you will see why I haven't done that yet. No room to run the wires the way I wanted to. :doh: I tried that already and it didnt fit right(the wires that is) so when this battery dies I will be getting on with the right confiuration. Oh and one of these days I'll have to get a hold down for the battery too.

Nice Install.. Now you do yourself another favor and make a small ground wire to run from the battery to the inner fender or core support to better ground the body. Thanks for all the part numbers I was looking for replacement bat clamps for my other rig...

magimerlin said:
I got some 2ga from work some ends and new bat clamps. I work at O'Reilly auto so here are there part #'s that I uses. vendors are BWD(borg warner) and SS(super start)
2 military spec bat clamps BWD- BH315p and Bh315n
6' (wanted extra) BWD-BCW102 (neg cable(blk))
6' (wanted extra) BWD-BCW102R (pos cable(red))
3 packs ( 1 pack is extra just in case) of SS-01407 battery ends
I had the heat shink all ready so I canot remember the number but it is by BWD or SS aswell. They might have to pull out the BWD or SS wiring book to find it though. I'll try to get the number at work tonight. Before it shrinks it is huge but it does shrink down to size.
here are the installed pics 1st is at battery 2nd is at ground connection. Its better than stock and not to expensive. enjoy
batterywiring001.jpg

If there is a local boat/marine shop around you can get ready made battery cables from 2awg to 8awg with terminals already crimped on. Comes in different lengths also. Alot cheaper alternative than $75

derrickdrew17 said:
Hey magimerlin how much did that all cost you?

Keep in mind I work at a parts store so my price is cheaper then a walk in customer. I think I paid in the about 20-25 bucks for it all. Walk in expect to pay roughly about 35-40 for the stuff. So it really isn't that bad.

Back