• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recall - '93 to '96 Frame Cracks

Factory recalls do not expire, but here is the begining of the recall info from chrysler. . .

recall__.gif

No. 723
June, 1997 To: All Jeep® & Eagle Dealers

Subject: Safety Recall #723 -- Frame Cracking and Steering Gear Bolt Replacement

Models:

All 1993 Through 1996 Model Year Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Right Hand Drive (RHD) Vehicles.

The frame on the above listed vehicles, may crack where the steering gear attaches due to a missing frame rail weld. Frames that are not cracked must have a weld added to the frame rail and the steering gear bolts replaced. Frames that are cracked must have reinforcement plates welded to the frame rail and the steering gear bolts replaced.

. . . So unless you drive for the post office or just happened to find a backwards XJ this does not apply, sorry.

Interesting...just was chatting about the stupid rotors and brake shifter interlock that was a dealer service item also. I turned that one down but this looks interesting. I will have to inquire about it.

As I recall, there was a similar recall for pre-96 LHD XJs as well. Sometime around 95 or 96 the steering box mount was strengthened on the production line.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I find that really amazing as this recall is dated 1997. My 1993 RHD had this problem identified and fixed in 1993 under warranty as were many others. Maybe they were hoping to get away with not fixing it in the US.

Back