• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the best CHEAP Battery??

jeepman121

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a battery today and I want a good one..not an optima or anything extreme seeing that I'm not running any heavy electronics at all. I just like to pop the hatch and crank the radio while I'm fishing/camping. And I've bought cheapo batteries before and they didn't hold up to the Ohio winters. I do drive alot of gravel roads so I'm sure vibration has an effect.

I have never had luck with anything but Optima Batteys. The only thing about them is that they don't like a quick charge, if you run it dead you will need to trickle charge it. They are not exactly cheap either but I have saved alot of money not having to replace standard lead acid batterys all the time!

ive had Wal Mart batteries in both my XJs.....each have lasted at least 4 years, and im in PA....cold here too man, lol.....and trust me, i know all about the camping/fishing deal.....ive let my radio run for HOURS before, no problemos at all......oh, and i fell asleep one trout season camping trip and left the radio on for like 10 hours, fired right up......the battery is from wal fart.....but get the yello ones....i think they are called " extreme" or some shit.......good deal tho....and about 50 to 60 big ones.....not too bad, never left me walking.......:patriot:

RustyRocker said:
but get the yello ones....i think they are called " extreme" or some shit.......good deal tho....and about 50 to 60 big ones.....not too bad, never left me walking.......:patriot:

"MAXX" and .... yep!!! :cheers:

The Costco batteries are made by Johnson Controls, the same manufacturer that makes the Autozone store brand and many other "brand name" batteries. I used one in my FSJ for a while and it worked great, it would crank that big AMC 360 forever. Very cheap in comparison to other brands as well.

I've bought my last 2 batteries at AutoZone. $65, 48 months. I don't really have battery problems. The last time I had battery problems was with 1.) a Die Hard and 2.) a Wal-Mart special. The AutoZone batteries have been going strong for 2-3 years.

I won't spend $150 for a battery.

I picked up an Energizer from Walmart (only place open when I was dead on the road) and it has held up great so far in this Canadian winter. It was about 80 bux or so.

I usually go to a large chain store, they often offer three battery types. Cheap, middle and premium. I pay the extra ten or fifteen for the middle and replace it every three years or so, keep a couple of spares in the garage on a timer/charger and rotate out the oldest battery, whenever I replace one in the XJ's.
I usually take a spare with me when wheeling, I've got a sealed plastic battery box with a handle. I've found it is often easier to walk over and hand somebody a battery and a set of jumpers, than trying to maneuver close enough to use the jumpers.

Back