• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end question(s)....tech guy's please help!!!

tragiccomic1972

NAXJA Forum User
Ok people-- relative newcomer here... by I LOVE my XJ....

The situation: It is a 2WD, and I am happy with that 99 % of the time, but I have come across a few time in which I needed a little extra traction, so I want to make it a posi-trac.. no I do not want to sell it and get a 4WD... I have way too much labor and upgrades to sell it and get my $$'s worth

so here are my questions:

How do I tell what kind of rear end I have???

Can I make a true Posi-trac out of it???

Thanks
J

you can do what i did, call your local jeep dealership and give them the last 8 of you r VIN# and they will tell you what you have

Is there a tag on the dif? does it say 3 55L ? If so it is a Limited slip. If it says 3 55 then it is open. If it is open get a LSD carrier and swap it out.

I bought an Auburn LSD for mine and I love it. I got it for $320, labor was $300 with a gear change to 3.55, and the master install kit and oil(Amsoil severe gear) were another $100. Now I've been to the JY a couple of times looking for a trac-loc equipped 8.25 from a 4.0 auto(w/3.55s) to buy for $150, but haven't found any. I did find a 6/96 2.5 stick XJ with an open 8.25(I'm thinking a 29spl, since the supposed switchover from 27spl was 5/96), but don't know what gears are in it(4.10s?).

Back