• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ignition key doesn't turn???

01sesedan

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Finally got a 99 xj and within the first 24 hours I already have a problem. When I insert the key in the ignition, it doesn't turn. Once the key is in all the way, I have to hit the back of it with my wrist about 3 times..then it turns and I'm able to start the jeep.

Is this something I could repair myself or do you recommend I get a locksmith?

Looking forward to your feedback..

Thanks....

Get that thing fixed ASAP!!! Same thing happened to me in my 99 and one day I couldn't turn it at all anymore....I had to take apart the coulumn and take the switch out and start it with a pari of pliers until I got my new swtich!

Mine does the same thing. It just so happens that mine has worked itself into a position where it will start every time. If you want to fix it, you can go to the dealership or a good parts store and get another tumbler assembly and key. If you are somewhat inclined, installation is pretty easy. The only thing about doing that is that the new key will not work in the door, so you'll have to carry around a ignition key and door key from then on. If you want one key for both, I would let a lock smith do it for you, because that would involve matching up tumbler pins, which is pretty hard.

Was out of town and finally getting a chance to work on this. For those who have used a locksmith, what is the average cost?

Just want to get an idea before looking, not sure if the price is within the same range.

thanks for your feedback..

The price for changing out the cylinder was $150. That's from a local locksmith. It took him about 15 min to changes out, that hardest part was finding the correct cylinder.

The dealer wanted $85/hr, 1.5 hours for the job plus $100 for the cylinder, that's just crazy.

Let's hope it doesn't act-up again...

Back