• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My KEY WONT TURN!

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,,,, whats the deal? My stupid key wont turn. Ive tried moving the shifter, hitting the brake, turning the steering wheel, wiggling the key, tried to force it to move,,, everything I could think of.

Its a 98. I drove it this morning and it worked great! Why would it just stop working suddenly. I need to be able to start it up to go get a new TPS =) Any suggestions?

Jeremy

The thing thats puzzling is that it didnt happen gradually. One turn it worked great, next,,,, completely locked. I replaced my old 1985 unit in my last cherokee and it was a simple looking tumbler lock. THis one seems a lot more complicated being that its a newer year cherokee. I bet it would be expensive.

DO NOT PUT POWDER GRAPHITE IN AUTO LOCKS.

You probably have dirt or pocket fuzz stuck in the wafers causing the lock not to work.
Here's what to do. First, use a spray lubricant and soak the lock. Then, put the key in and tap it with a small hammer or other lightweight tool until it turns. Don't hit it so hard that it breaks the key. Just a light tapping to free up the stuck wafers.

Why no graphite?

Never have but a few years back a family member was saying it was a good idea to put some graphite into the locks to keep them lubricated from time to time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of crappy Chrysler parts. Mine does the same thing sometimes, and my indicator switch on my transmission sometimes goofs up so I have to put it into neutral to start it. It doesnt get any better from here...

jimmydaux said:
The thing thats puzzling is that it didnt happen gradually. One turn it worked great, next,,,, completely locked. I replaced my old 1985 unit in my last cherokee and it was a simple looking tumbler lock. THis one seems a lot more complicated being that its a newer year cherokee. I bet it would be expensive.

My 99 did the same thing man...all of a sudden, it just froze! Had to pull it apart and start it with pliers until I got a new switch and key

Back