• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Newbie Needs help with OEM swapped gauge cluster

96_Busted_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay i have a 96 SE right. They come with the your a retard gauge cluster. (the one with the big fuel gauge and speedo and thats it) So i noticed there is a rpm wire in all the jeep wireing harness for the clusters. I got one out of a 95 sport. I put it in and the oil pressure and water temp don't work ?:smsoap: I was thinking even if the old cluster had a retard light when you overheat and/or low oil pressure would turn on. Accoring to the new cluster i have 120p oil pressure and run at 100 degrees all day long?

So it should still have the same philosophy centain voltage that it sends to the gauge from the sending sensor. Sensor says hey i'm at 140 degress it will send 1.2 volts. Sensor is at 250 and burning up it send 2.5v to the gauge. At least that how it works with imports? So is this assesment correct or what?
I am guessing that the light on the SE cluster has a predetermined impedence before it turns on, right?

Any help is appreciated. I have no idea what to do. Maybe i should check some fuses tomm? :hang:
thanks
Anthony

You still need to change out your oil pressure sending unit, and the coolant temperature sending unit at the back of the block (the other one controls the thermostat, not the gauges). The senders you have now are simply on/off; senders for the actual gauges are a resistor-type, so they can show a range.

When you get new sending units, be sure to specify that they're for the gauges, not the lights. Expect to pay $30-40 for both.

Mambeu said:
You still need to change out your oil pressure sending unit, and the coolant temperature sending unit at the back of the block (the other one controls the thermostat, not the gauges). The senders you have now are simply on/off; senders for the actual gauges are a resistor-type, so they can show a range.

When you get new sending units, be sure to specify that they're for the gauges, not the lights. Expect to pay $30-40 for both.

Crap i was afraid of that thanks alot for the answer.
Anthony

I changed out my '96 earlier this week. The oil sensor is a pain to change, takes a special socket for $12-. I used a tiny plumbers pipe wrench to screw it in. Search cluster / instrument swap for lots of info and links. I did, it worked. I also messed up the "new" speedo trying to get the mileage to match up. Had to put the original back in.

Back