• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Fuel Pump ?

78/xj88

NAXJA Forum User
i did a search and found no post on how to change it or were an 88 FP is at can any one help me

some thimes it chugs when starting up and run fine and then it take a while to start agian and some times it will just shut off ? Fuel Pump, Filter right?

will go get a fuel pump or filter as soon as someone gets back to me.

THANKS

NEW 88 XJ OWNER

Why not start with the filter? I believe on an 88, it is along one side of the vehicle about half way back. Just snoop around and you'll find it. If the filter doesn't help, you can always put in the pump.......no guarantees that the filter will fix it but simple/cheap/maintenance stuff first! :wave1:

Fuel pressure tester is less expensive and will tell you for sure if the fuel system is where you need to throw your money.
You probably also have a ballast resistor (white ceramic) could be going bad.(Jump it,the resistor, not the Jeep)

If you do need to do the pump, search again, perhaps for the sender unit, or the O-ring. There should be a number of other threads on how to get it out without dropping the tank, etc. If nothing shows up, there are plenty of people here who have done it and can tell you how.

white ceramic block -on drivers side inner fender- toward the front -with orange wire to it and from it. connect the two wires together to by pass the resistor-- won't harm anything

78/xj88 said:
do u think thats what this problem could be i am really lost
It's all a process of elimination and or educated guesses.
There are numerous items that can be the culprit.

Take a look at local library website. I found repair/testing info for just about any vehicle.
As long as you have a library card, I told them to sign me up when I found this info.

Filter cheapest place to start. Found on driver side over rear axle. Release pressure through schrader valve on fuel rail be sure to have a rag for spray during pressure release and when you disconnect filter. Safty glasses a must while under (Fuel, dirt, and eyeballs= no bueno)

Last edited:
Back