• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help identifying sound

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
when i turn the steering wheel to the right and hit a certain spot(just one spot, not befor it or after it) there is a clunking/binding noise coming from the front end. its happens at high and low speeds and sounds really bad. anyone have any ideas what it may be. i'm thinking outter front u-joint but am not positive.

trac bar mount on frame, loose track bar bolts, worn TRE's , loose steering box. have someone else steer it in park, while you get down under there and identify it. Grab parts and go by feel at the same time of sound :)

tie rod end. The one on pitman or the integrated one on the Draglink may be worn and floppy

mitsumotors said:
help please.....:helpme:
Can you make the sound occur while stationary?
Can be # of things, best is to get under there and start hunting by ear.

I agree with RyanM
RyanM said:
trac bar mount on frame, loose track bar bolts, worn TRE's , loose steering box. have someone else steer it in park, while you get down under there and identify it. Grab parts and go by feel at the same time of sound

yeah, it doesn't do it when i'm sitting still. and i could make it do it while driving earlier today but now it won't do it. its strange. i'm gonna climb under it this weekend and check things out, i just wanna get an idea of all the possible things i could look for before i get into it. my knowledge on steering and suspension stuff is limited compared to alot of you guys so i appreciate all the help i can get. thanks:roll:

Check the bushings on the control arms. I had a weld broke on my factory lower control arm that would make a popping noise sometimes. Also check the welds on the control arm mounts to the body because they are bad about breaking. But Ryan was right also. If you wheel this rig it adds alot of stress on those parts and anyone or all of them could be wore out. More than likely its only one or two of them though.

Did you lube the front end lately? I had a problem a while back, when I'd turn left it would make a grining sound. I checked the rod ends and pitman arm with no wear or play. Then my boss gave us "Green Grease" gift packs at Xmas. I greased the front end and it killed the noise, but it was more or less do to the fact I didn't grease the front since last March.

Back