• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory D30 "Heavy Duty" Cover???

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
I found one for sale and the guy is selling a Rusty's skid with it. He claims that the cover is an OEM D30 "heavy duty" cover. He said it's 1/8" thick and the standard is 1/16" thick...is this correct or is he trying to hornswaggle me?

I searched and couldn't find anything on it. :dunno:

Never heard of it but that doesn't mean it couldn't exist, just unlikely.

Bring a spare cover with you and see if there's anything significantly different. Ask the guy to prove it to you.

LoL, I have the Dana HD cover on my 44. It is a little bit thicker. Don't know about 30 though

As of right now...I'm voting on he's trying to hornswaggle me....(I love that word, it makes me laugh)

know exactly what you are talking about. they arent great. they have those "hd" dana 44 and dana 30 covers all over ebay for 13$ plus 12$ shipping. for 25 bucks its a cheap cover for a slightly better than stock replacement, but if youre gonna spend 25$ on some crap like that you might as well spend 60-160 and get something that will truly protect the inards of your expensive differential. you can 5/16 thick covers for under 100$, by the time you spent 25$ and actually recieve one youll wish you never bought it. i did that thinking they were stronger than they were...ordered a 5/16 alloy cover within a month later for 60$....

gregmondro said:
Measure the lip on a stock cover, measure the lip on his "hd" cover. Tada, question answered.

If I wasn't trying to buy it online that would work. I wouldn't have posted this if I were able to see it in person. I want to know if anybody can confirm this or if it's :bs:

blondejoncherokee said:
know exactly what you are talking about. they arent great. they have those "hd" dana 44 and dana 30 covers all over ebay for 13$ plus 12$ shipping. for 25 bucks its a cheap cover for a slightly better than stock replacement, but if youre gonna spend 25$ on some crap like that you might as well spend 60-160 and get something that will truly protect the inards of your expensive differential. you can 5/16 thick covers for under 100$, by the time you spent 25$ and actually recieve one youll wish you never bought it. i did that thinking they were stronger than they were...ordered a 5/16 alloy cover within a month later for 60$....

Yeah, I have no problem with spending $80 or $100 to protect my "inards" but I wasn't aware of a HD Dana cover so I wanted to see if anybody knew any real specs on it. This dude is selling a Rusty's skid along with it so I don't think it's an "eBay Special"...I can see the Dana logo on the cover in the picture.

All the dana 30 covers I have seen stock have been the heavy duty dana covers. I think they put the thick covers on the front from the factory but the rear axle covers are very thin. Go compare your front cover to your rear cover, I will bet your front looks alot thicker! Don't buy it, you already have it from the factory.

PaulJ said:
If you look at your OEM on, it looks about 1/8" thick. Take a peek.

Ok...for the last time. I KNOW what my cover looks like. That doesn't help me one bit. My question was...does Dana even make a "heavy duty" cover for the 30...if so, how thick is it? Telling me my cover is 1/8" tells me nothing if I don't know if a "heavy duty" cover is even real and if so, how thick it is.

I'm just going to assume it's crap and stay away from it.

haha, I saw the one your referencing over on eBay yesterday. I was more interested in the Rusty's guard then the dif cover. But then I realized that it would not work w/ my 1 ton steering so I left it alone.

XJ&TJ4ME said:
haha, I saw the one your referencing over on eBay yesterday. I was more interested in the Rusty's guard then the dif cover. But then I realized that it would not work w/ my 1 ton steering so I left it alone.

Yeah me too...but I figured if the price went above about $30 then it better be an actual heavy duty diff cover to justify paying more than that for the skid. He probably just put that in there with it to trick somebody into paying more for the skid than the cover and skid are really worth. Someone will figure they got a steal at $50 for a "heavy duty" diff cover AND a Rusty's skid...when in reality...they could get the same skid for $50 brand new and NOT have to be stuck with a useless diff cover.

Back