• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ fuel pump question

ratherbcamping

NAXJA Forum User
I was clearing codes on the 01 XJ I bought recently and I noticed that the fuel pump runs continuosly with the key in the on position (engine not running). I thought it would only run a few seconds until pressure is built up and shut off?

XJ runs good for now, but I'm wanting a trouble free DD. Should I replace the fuel pump?

I have a 98 and I have NEVER heard that pump run, might be in the range of my hearing loss, I don't know. But I understand you are correct, but the pump has a bypass valve in the pump itself to cycle gas back thru it to cool it, it also has an anti drain back valve that is supposed to keep fuel in the system for several hours once it's shut off. The only thing I can think of would be to put a pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see what happens when you turn the key on and then off, if the pressure drops prettty quick it is probably the fuel pump not holding.

Back