• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35, bearings going, no $$, easy temp fixes

solditforajeep

NAXJA Forum User
Its the middle of winter, water pump just went, I have no extra cash to pay someone and def not a shop to replace the rear end bearings. When I bought it a big Jeep guy test drove it and said bearings were going. When I do get it fixed I dont need to mod anything, unless there is gains to be made for a daily driver that does some towing. Anyways, is there anything I can put in the diff to help the bearings, anything from Lucas? I may pull the cover and refill havent done it in a year since ive had it. Also, what should I buy to fill and any special additives neesed? 98 ABS D35

you need a new rearend! cheap simple swap, I have two I'd give ya If you weren't so far away.just swap in a cheap used, prepare for some minor brakework and maybe new u bolts or now is the perfect opportunity to upgrade, I went 8.8 ford but there are many other options, some just as easy as swapping the stocker!

I had mine go in my ZJ, if you are going to get them done do it, I intentionally let mine go with plans on putting an D44A in there that a friend had in the spring, but it got too nasty sounding and I did not want my wife to breakdown somewhere with a blown rear. I ended up paying a tad over $700 for new gears, LSD rear as the carrier that was in there was damaged and the LSD was only $20 more and the complete rebuild, wonderful now and the lsd is nice in the snow and weather.
The rear end swap is a good option if you can do that and find one with your gears in it. It's straight unbolt and bolt in, hook up and go, hopefully you get a good one from the boneyard but thats always a crapshoot. I don't know how you would test one before you took it home though I guess you could pull the cover and stick a dial indicator on there and check the backlash to see at least if thats good, it should be no more than 15 thousandths MAX, 12 would be better.

When my Dana 35 bearings started going, I swapped the whole rear axle out for a 29-spline 8.25. I am very happy with it and I would do it again. Since mine is an auto, it was pretty easy to find an 8.25 with 3.55 gears. Around here they go for around $100 in the junk yard.

I tried a bunch of different oils in my D35 to try and keep it going just a little longer, but nothing helped. When I ultimately replaced it, the oil was only 2 weeks old and was already a nice pearlescent sheen.

Last edited:
he test drove it quick before I bought it, used dealer knocked 500 bucks off before I bought it because he knew the guy that drove it, the rear end was making a whirring noise when off the gas, etc.

solditforajeep said:
he test drove it quick before I bought it, used dealer knocked 500 bucks off before I bought it because he knew the guy that drove it, the rear end was making a whirring noise when off the gas, etc.

Well there is your cash for a new rear end. If you can find one, def just swap it over as diff rebuilds can be costly. Did one in my ZJ and it was 500 or 700, can't remember.

Did you do the waterpump yourself? If not, grab a fsm and try. That is my thoughts, as my mechanic is 75 an hour. I tell myself if it takes me 3 times as long as him, I am even and it didn't cost me anything but my time.

Good luck.

Well I bought the jeep a year ago and who knows where that 500 went, so im just tight on cash and definately time right now. Id like to try something in it to calm it down, over the year it hasnt got worse at all same noise.

If I switched rear ends, I have ABS what do I need to switch over or does it all come off with my brakes?

The waterpump is going in tomorrow night. A mechanic at a GM dealership is putting it in for $70 on the side, I checked our adjusting program at work and it said 3.1 to do it so Im fine just paying 70 and having it done, Im like you I usually double waterever is estimated for time.

ABS only works with Dana 35 axles, so if you upgrade to an 8.25 like I did or something better like a Dana 44, you will need to disconnect the ABS by unplugging all the relays and fuses related to the system. You could try to remove the wires correctly from the axles, but I just chopped them off with dikes and filled in the holes in the floor with RTV.

Like I said I tried putting off the rear end as long as possible. I think it was quietest with Royal Purple 75W140.

$70 seems reasonable for the water pump, I did mine recently and it wasn't hard, just messy.

solditforajeep said:
Well I bought the jeep a year ago and who knows where that 500 went, so im just tight on cash and definately time right now. Id like to try something in it to calm it down, over the year it hasnt got worse at all same noise.

It has been doing it for a year?

Just wait.

When it growls, then replace it.

Rev

Back