• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Belt

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
My '92 is squealing like a stuck pig. When I was putting it back together last summer after I bent the front end, I had to install a new belt. I got the cheap one from Advance, and it chirped pretty good. So I went back and got the expensive one. It was quiet for a while, but is now loud. No amount of tension seems to cure it. I noticed that the 'v-grooves' are a series of ribs, almost like tread blocks on a tire, that are about a quarter inch long, with about an eighth inch space, not a continuous rib like an OEM belt. I'm wondering if this is causing a lack of traction, and the squeal. Does anyone have a sure fire favorite brand or model that they could recommend? I'm looking at NAPA's website, and it's hard to tell if I should choose one merely by a picture. I just got a NAPA 'Krik-it', and this would be a good chance to use it......Thanks

I've always used OEM belts or Car Craft, their belts are the same looking as OEM. Got the long grooves.

Mine was chirping and I tried 2 different belts (Dayco), new idler pulley, new water pump, new fan clutch, new harmonic balancer, new fan mounting bracket and bearing and it still chirped. A guy came along and said put a GATES serpentine belt on it and low and behold after doing so the chirping is gone!

Woulda been cheaper to just get a big amp and real loud speaker system.

I have one of the Goodyear ones right now with the little choppy ribs. No problems here. I have also had really good luck with gates products

the extra grooves are designed to allow the belt to wrap around small pulleys without bunching up and generating excess heat which is what dries them out. I don't believe that's the cause of the problem though, as the cheap one doesn't come with the grooves and squealed too-- if I read that correctly

Thanks for the replies! The two 12" subs in the back do provide an effective cure, but the rude looks at stoplights tell me it's still chirpin'. I will try to hunt down a Gates belt and give it a try. Thank again...Ray

You have a good belt. Check your idler, it may be loose! While you are at it check all of them!You really need to make your belt tight!!! I had the same problem and after tightening the damn belt down GOOD no more chirping!

Just a thought, yo do know that a NEW belt [defined as one that has run less than 15 minutes] needs to be adjusted to 180lbs, a USED belt [defined as one that has run more than 15 minutes] needs to be adjusted to 160lbs. Make sure you are reading your krikit correctly.

Also it is a good idea to clean the pulleys with brake cleaner or something like it when installing a new belt. This could solve chirping problems.

You can clean the surface of the pulley with brake cleaner, but is there anything you can do to help lubricate bearings without taking everything apart, maybe like spraying WD-40?

MJCfromCT said:
You can clean the surface of the pulley with brake cleaner, but is there anything you can do to help lubricate bearings without taking everything apart, maybe like spraying WD-40?
the bearings are designed to be sealed and non-serviceable. Some spray lube can quiet them for a short fix, but it'll never get inside to the moving parts (most of which would do better with an extreme pressure grease anywho)

I remember when the bearings came up, you can get replacement bearings and reuse the pulley itself. The part numbers had been posted and I'd give it a try, I have like 6 old ones in my serviceable bin, I replace the pulley every belt change. I just don't know where to get the bearings from, like a local store.

it can be sourced from any decent parts store, but the electronic parts catalog will usually not list it. Any parts guy worth his weight in snail poo should be able to cross the numbers on the original and get you a replacement. a bench vise and a couple sockets will aid in removal and installation.

Back