• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Little technical difficulty here

victor_s

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so i go to start my jeep in the morning and it starts up fine, runs for about 20secons then dies. Now it feels like it wants to start and fires a bit but then sputters and dies. If i let it sit for a while it'll start up for another 20secs. What can be the problem?

Well.... we don't know what you drive, but if it's an older generation XJ that has the "fuel pump ballast resistor", I'd start by jumpering it. If the Jeep keeps running when that resisitor is jumpered, then you need a new one.
:cheers:

victor_s said:
Oh sorry , Its an 89 XJ with a 95 4.0 in it. Sorry im still new to the jeep, how would i go about jumping it?

It's located on the drivers side fender. Looks like a white ceramic block with 2 wires going to it. Just unplug the wires and put them together and see if that cures it.

Good luck!!

:cheers:

Alright so i just tryed and it didn't change anything.
But i did listen to my fuel pump some more and heres what it does.
When i first put the key in it gives it a nice long pump like its soposto.
When i go to off and then back to the on position, once again without cranking, it doesn't do anything. Maybe 2-3 more times of doing nothing then on the 4th one it will give me one short little pump. If i take the key all the way out and wait a few secs it start doing the same thing again with the long pump then nothing again. I don't know if this helps.

This smells like a fuel pump problem. Your pump should energize and run for a couple of seconds each time you turn the key to the ON position. Yours isn't doing that which makes the pump itself and associated electronics/wiring suspect.

One thing you could do to verify fuel pump is to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. There is a schrader valve where the gauge can be installed, it's near the valve cover. Compare the pressure reading to spec.

Good luck and post back what you find!

Couldn't this be the IAC? Start your engine and hold the accelerator to the floor when it starts to die. If it keeps running it ain't the fuel pump.

Another easy check is the fuel pump relay. It could be failing. It works for a few seconds, gets warm and falls open. This relays provides power to the fuel pump. It's located on the passenger side fender in a row with four other small cube-shaped relays. Its the third one from the left. You can swap it with the A/C clutch relay (first from the left as you into the engine from passenger side) if you have AC.

Last edited:
Alright so i got a new fuel pump relay a couple of weeks back and it worked. Now even when i did try holding the pedal to the floor or pumping it while it was on those 20secs it didtn change a thing it still died. I'm really guessing its the fuel pump...

Back