• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Sayin' HI

MischiefMan

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!

I'm new to the forums and semi new to the XJ world, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I live in Denton and am on my 2nd XJ. I should have kept the first one and got rid of the wife, but that's a different story that belongs on a different forum. Anyway, wife gone now and I bought my current Cherokee on a whim. My former XJ had a nice little 4.0L in it and it never occurred to me that the 2.8L V6 in my current '86 would be such a dog.

As I said, it was purchased on a whim. I bought it and took the girlfriend to Colorado to go play in the mountains for Christmas. She had a blast and wants to do more wheeling....who am I to deprive her right? Anyway, now I've got this V6 nightmare that I can't seem to get the emissions low enough to pay inspection.

Even if I put a 3.4L in it I'll still come out with less invested than if I tried to find a 4.0L/5 speed, so I've decided to keep it.

So, that's my basic story. :flipoff:

Nice story. Good luck with the V6 heh. I go to Denton just about every weekend since the girlfriend goes to UNT.

If you can wait a couple of months, I will have a 1988 renix 4.0 and a AW4 available for cheap (basically take them off my hands) 4.0 runs fine, but needs some minor headwork like a valve job. The AW4 needs a new Neutral Safety Switch, it broke when we tried to remove it and I just gt bored with it and did nothing further than throw a cloth over it.

Dirt said:
Burn it while you're still ahead... and HI!

LOL...owned one have you Dirt?

Thanks for sayin' hi Crusher, Dirt, and MK.

Well, I've given up on any hopes of getting the 2.8 to pass emissions. I'm looking for a 3.4 to put in it now....or maybe just do a V8 conversion.

The fuel pump is going out and something keeps draining my battery on my other car so I need to get the XJ situation sorted out as quickly as possible. So, if anyone has a line on a cheap 3.4L let me know please. :D

MK, my girlfriend might be looking for an XJ pretty soon.

Hey.. I am new also. I have the same 1986 XJ w/ the 2.8L V6. I ha ve NO problems at all with the inspect. Of course I had to replace a few (ok alot) of things to get it to pass. And I wouldn't trade my motor for the world. Its not the motor that gets you where you need to go... its the gears!

Well, I found out why it wouldn't pass inspection (I hope!) the PO had removed the cat. I guess I'm quite impressed with how close I got the numbers to passing with no cat. I was 1.09% over on the CO, but everything else was within limits. Not too bad for 200K on the clock. :yelclap:

I'm gonna take it to see if it will pass in the morning.

Welcome xxmidianxx!!

I'm gonna guess that you '86 probably is in better shape than mine is right now. When I went to Colorado over the holidays I had troubles getting thru Raton Pass. I had to do it in 3rd gear at a max speed of 45 mph. I was just glad that it was in the middle of the night so I didn't have to be so embarassed. My '87 that had the 4.0L was definitely more nimble. I guess after driving my car and my girlfriend's car for so long, a lot of engines just don't stack up. That being said, neither car can drive over anything higher than a speed bump without ripping parts off. :looney:

rokclimbertx, thanks for the welcome and line on the XJ's for sale. Sadly, I'm not in the position to buy one atm. If I stick to my budget, I might be able to do something this summer. Until then, I'm hoping to get some time on the trails (and experience) with the '86.

Back