• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans cooling issues?

sidssm

NAXJA Forum User
Me againg with trans issues. Now I have an external cooler (the radiator cooler blocked) and now the supply line from trans to cooler stays hot and the return line is cool (the trans temp gauge does not move). That is understandable that in the cold weather that the fluid would be cooled, but the trans pan gets so hot that you cant keep your hand on it. Is this normal for the aw4? thanks seth

I'd disconnect the lines at the tranny and blow through them, just to make sure they aren't plugged (again). If your tranny shed enough stuff to plug up the stock cooler it may have plugged something else up also.
If you added non stock fittings to the tranny you have to be careful how far you tighten them into the tranny, they can go in too far and block off most of the flow.
Maybe pull off the stock screw in fittings at the tranny and have a look see and drop the pan for a look see. It's best to have an "O" ring kit handy.
I've seen plugged tranny coolers before, they are often accompanied with a half a handful of crap in the tranny pan. If the transmission shed enough to plug up the cooler, it likely shed enough to cause plugs in other places.
If you use compressed air to try and blow the stoppage out, keep the pressure reasonable or it may cause damage.

Last edited:
Today I took the pan down to do a filter replacement and the pan was clean with minimal metal on the magnets. the trans lines are stock at the trans. I hooked the external cooler to the factory trans lines with compression fittings. I also took them apart and the trans tubing isnt crushed on the inside. I blew through the return line and it seemed clear. I did not blow through the supply line, is that safe to do ( will it harm anything). I disconnected the return line and ran out the old fluid into a pan and also a fresh gallon of fluid to do a at home trans flush. I noticed that when I done that , there wasnt alot of pressure. The fluid ran a 3/8 stream out but didnot shoot it out like I expected. I did a grand cherokee last year and the fluid came out alot quicker. thanks seth

Most everytime I pull both cooler lines at the transmission, I blow some air through the line, cooler, line loop.
The opening in the screw in fittings at the tranny is pretty small, a likely place for a stoppage.
I really can't remember if the screw in fitting has a flat seal or an "O" ring (fairly sure it's an "O" ring).

Last edited:
sidssm said:
Today I took the pan down to do a filter replacement and the pan was clean with minimal metal on the magnets. the trans lines are stock at the trans. I hooked the external cooler to the factory trans lines with compression fittings. I also took them apart and the trans tubing isnt crushed on the inside. I blew through the return line and it seemed clear. I did not blow through the supply line, is that safe to do ( will it harm anything). I disconnected the return line and ran out the old fluid into a pan and also a fresh gallon of fluid to do a at home trans flush. I noticed that when I done that , there wasnt alot of pressure. The fluid ran a 3/8 stream out but didnot shoot it out like I expected. I did a grand cherokee last year and the fluid came out alot quicker. thanks seth

Back