• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Bling #2...

Clean Racing

NAXJA Forum User
Well after two revalves and oil changes. I ditched the bilsteins 7100's and stepped up to the Fox 2.0's. I have to give a shout out to Sonny at Down South Motorsports for the good deal and the help with the valving. Now I just have to get a set for the rear and make some holes in the floor..

PICS HERE!!

looks like your gona have the same up-travel problem everyone else I know rurning fox's has. you may want to relocate the lower shock mount to get some more up travel

Cool Scott. It's not too "Bling'ish"

I'm not up on my bumpers.. Did you fab it or buy it??

How do you like the drilled rotors?? Do you notice a difference??

E

Gerr said:
looks like your gona have the same up-travel problem everyone else I know rurning fox's has. you may want to relocate the lower shock mount to get some more up travel

Yea, I noticed that too. Are you not worried about that or are you planning on relocating the lower mount?

BTW, sick jeep. I was checkin out the other pics and you have a sweet setup.

EliasJ123 said:

E
Don't do drilled rotors, aaaaaand I'll explain;

Drilled rotors have two major downfalls, strength and surface area. Most of your el cheapo $50 job drilled rotors are exactly that... drilled. This is a problem due to strength issues. Rotors are cast, milled then heat treated. Once you heat treat something you shouldn't mess with it again. Well, drilling after the fact causes little tiny stress cracks around the holes that have been drilled the first time you heat up a rotor. It can eventually cause this:

rotor1.jpg

Good "drilled" rotors are actually drilled BEFORE the heat treat, at the factory. You'll get rotors like this from Bear, wilwood, etc. But they're going to cost you.

Now, on to the cost vs. performance factor. You're actually DECREASING stopping power in trade for heat dissipation. The fact that you've got 40 holes in your rotor, amounts to quite a bit of surface space you're not going to be making pad contact with. This is often ofset by getting bigger brakes etc. You'll actually notice a slight DECREASE in stopping power with drilled rotors, given normal driving conditions. Once they get hot, is when they stop better, the holes reduce brake fade.

Now with that being said, your best bet is slotted rotors. You don't get the heat disipation, but you get the displacement of water, and in your case possibly sand or fine mud. Which is a major player in the game of brakes. All in all, you'll be better off with cheapo rotors and GOOD pads. I replace my rotors pretty much every brake change on my cars I drive hard. I run good pads, and cheap rotors. Rotors are rotors until you get into big money brakes. The good pads however will eat into a good rotor or a bad rotor just the same.

Brake bed in is also JUST as important to braking as the choice of pads and rotors, even more so I'd say.

Just food for thought

crazyjim said:
Don't do drilled rotors, aaaaaand I'll explain;

Not be disrespectful but I have been running drilled rotors on my jeep for 8 years now.. Now given that.. I am known to be a late braker, and do not ride the brakes. I have been building and maintaining race cars for the last 10 years and have no problems with them. I don't buy cheapy anything, been there helped write the book.. I believe you get what you pay for much like your cracked rotor from looks like and FD rx7.

Thanks for all the comments.. The rear bumper is an AEV that is no longer made.. I scored that from a guy in Minn.. I have been making the rest of the parts to make it work properly.

The up travel will be addressed when my new Fox 2.0 14" travels show up, I already have the mounting tabs for that. Then the 12's will go to the back threw the floor on top the axle..

EliasJ123 said:

E

E.

I like the drilled rotors, especially with the EBC green pads now.. When I first got my jeep, it was to tow my motorcycle trailer to the desert every weekend.. Comming down Cajon, or the Grapevine really sucked till I put the first set on.. It reduced brake fade hands down. I have run just about every pad on them from carbon/metalics to ceramics.. I have to say what works for me does not always work for someone else..

The front bumper came from Dan @ Loosenuts, and the Back is from AEV ...

Did someone say bling, The 16's 2.5 just came in today just waiting for the bypasses. I pretty much nutted my pants lol

2258991421_3c50815b74.jpg

rig is looking really awesome Scott! I just picked these guys up for the rear of my pre-runner(14" travel), up through the floor with a single spare mount, bling shocks are the new chrome:)
IMG_0862.jpg

crazyjim said:
Don't do drilled rotors, ... Just food for thought

Wow, you are so correcting the wrong person. Clean-RC wrote the book on "doing it right". Cars he prepared won pikes peak 5 years in a row, not to mention .. well, it would be a long list and not my place to brag - but the man knows his shit. If he says drilled rotors are the way to go, thats the way I'm going.

In fact, I'm running the exact same rotors he is, by his advice :X

=)

cal said:
Wow, you are so correcting the wrong person. Clean-RC wrote the book on "doing it right". Cars he prepared won pikes peak 5 years in a row, not to mention .. well, it would be a long list and not my place to brag - but the man knows his shit. If he says drilled rotors are the way to go, thats the way I'm going.

In fact, I'm running the exact same rotors he is, by his advice :X

=)
That may be the case... However I know what I'm talking about when it comes to braking systems, and I know what I'm talking about with drilled rotors. To each his own, believe who you want, but I'd do a little research before I went any further on those more than likely powerslots you're running.

Looks good Scott. What type of droop you getting outa your front end. Tony has the same LA kit & I set up his front with 6" of droop at ride hight using 12" Fox's & worked out good, it's straped with 22" limit straps. He does still have the stock TB on the axle & Y link steering though. Looks like you have an OTK set up though, can't tell from the pics. Thinking the 14" body might be too long as that was what I was looking at as well but bought the 12's. Is too much droop a bad thing;)

Clean-RC said:
Well after two revalves and oil changes. I ditched the bilsteins 7100's and stepped up to the Fox 2.0's. I have to give a shout out to Sonny at Down South Motorsports for the good deal and the help with the valving. Now I just have to get a set for the rear and make some holes in the floor..

PICS HERE!!

nice Scott! Where is Down South Motorsports located? I'm too lazy to google

Down South in San Diego:D. Sunny is a great guy to deal with...Best price on Fox's I have found....$339.00 valved to your spec-shiped to your door.

djblade311 said:
nice Scott! Where is Down South Motorsports located? I'm too lazy to google

Sorry, n00b question, but what are air shocks and how are they better than Bilsteins or OMEs?

Back