• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SHACKLES!

mbiker72

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any idea what vehicles has shackles that i can get in a junkyard that will net about 1.5-2 inches of lift on a stock cherokee without risking the reliability and/or stability of the rear suspension?

also, is there any way to make a home brew coil spacer for the front, trying to save money, or actually, do any vehicles out there have spacers from factory i can pillage from the junkyard?

trying to get about 1.5-2 inches of lift, but im being a cheap ass bc college costs $$$$$$$$$$

Search, Search, Search.

Since I'm nice. Stack a couple stock coil spring islolators or stock ZJ coils up front. Use MJ (or Chevy??) shackles in the rear.

Add a single cherokee main leaf with they eyes cut off to each of your packs. This will yield about 1.5" to 2". ZJ V8 coils up front will give you about 2" as well. Otherwise, poly coil spacers are cheap. If you want to make one, you can use a plastic high-density kitchen cutting board to fab up a couple...

Search Rock Lizard Fabrications budget boost on Google as well as Ed A. Stevens' homepage and Gojeep's page. They will get you started...

Grab a set of F-250 coils, for about 2-2.5"s up front, and MJ shackles only give about 3/4's of an inch lift in the rear, so do what Beej said and add a single leaf to your stock leaf pack. Doing that is also better as shackles will slowly wreck your leafs.

Just bring a tape measure....Remember you will need two inches of legnth to net ONE INCH ON LIFT. Chevys will work but unsure of models to look for. I am running them on my MJ to replace factory shackles that rusted out. They are beefy and boomerang to boot!!

Factorylegnthshackles.jpg

The extra main leaf idea is a good one but again will stiffen up your ride. Longer shackles do put more stress on your leafs, but you are not looking for big lift, I wouldnt worry about a couple inches longer shackles. As I said the XJ sahckles are really short to begin with.

Yours on a XJ should be 3.5" eye to eye, so 5.5" would net you about an inch of lift. This is why MJ's net you about .75 as they are 4.5"-5" eye to eye.

Good luck,

CW

BTW, I would stay away from FS ford coils...unless you LIKE TANK LIKE RIDE!!! Poly spacers are CHEAP and work just fine! My 2cents...

Last edited:
Back