• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Cleghorn Adventure

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Another Cleghorn Adventure Yesterday - 2/10/08

I went out yesterday with 5 other Jeeps (mostly family). We got on the trail about 9:00am and didn't get off until about 7:30pm. It was no easy run..

I got through the v-votch and almost to the top of hill.. The snow was deeeep. A group of Scouts made new tracks and I made it within a few feet of theirs. Then I almost rolled coming down the v-notch. I ended up getting 3 tires off the ground. I scewed up my drag link and tie-rod(s). The camber is tilted in and the toe out is way out..

We made it the farthest on the trail. We had to use the trail to bypass the fire road because the snow was so deep. Then we got to a point before Pucker that we couldn't go through the fire road nor the trail.. We thought we might not make it out the way we came either. I thought that maybe we would have to spend the night and wait 'til morning.

It was definitely an Adventure. Everyone got stuck several times and had to be pulled out. We had to change a tire in the dark too.. Hooking up tow straps in the dark and in the snow is NOT fun.. :nono:

Anywho, you can tell from the lack of smilies that the run lost it's "fun." I was just glad to have gotten home last night. I also was would re-think doing it again. If I thought about it, I would have taken at least one rig with a winch, food for at least two days, fire wood, snow weather sleeping bags, flares, and snow clothing.

We planned to be off the trail about 2pm. But ended up spending about 6 hours just trying to get out.
Here's a link to the album and a few pics below.
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/iceemaann11/Cleghorn%2002-10-08/

Cleghorn3155.jpg

Cleghorn3158.jpg

Cleghorn3193.jpg

Cleghorn3199.jpg

E

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

I dunno how you mess up steering at Cleghorn, but you still got several days to get a new one on for the SoCalXJ Jambo this weekend in Truckhaven.

I messed up my draglink and tierod one night at JV on a Friday a few years back, and I had a new one on by Sunday afternoon. Summit racing overnighted a Currie setup to me for 50 bucks less then the cost of Currie. Get on it man!

See you this weekend Elias. *hint hint* fix yer steering and let's ride!

Re: Another Cleghorn Adventure Yesterday - 2/10/08

EliasJ123 said:
I went out yesterday with 5 other Jeeps (mostly family). We got on the trail about 9:00am and didn't get off until about 7:30pm. It was no easy run..

I got through the v-votch and almost to the top of hill.. The snow was deeeep. A group of Scouts made new tracks and I made it within a few feet of theirs. Then I almost rolled coming down the v-notch. I ended up getting 3 tires off the ground. I scewed up my drag link and tie-rod(s). The camber is tilted in and the toe out is way out..

We made it the farthest on the trail. We had to use the trail to bypass the fire road because the snow was so deep. Then we got to a point before Pucker that we couldn't go through the fire road nor the trail.. We thought we might not make it out the way we came either. I thought that maybe we would have to spend the night and wait 'til morning.

It was definitely an Adventure. Everyone got stuck several times and had to be pulled out. We had to change a tire in the dark too.. Hooking up tow straps in the dark and in the snow is NOT fun.. :nono:

Anywho, you can tell from the lack of smilies that the run lost it's "fun." I was just glad to have gotten home last night. I also was would re-think doing it again. If I thought about it, I would have taken at least one rig with a winch, food for at least two days, fire wood, snow weather sleeping bags, flares, and snow clothing.

We planned to be off the trail about 2pm. But ended up spending about 6 hours just trying to get out.
Here's a link to the album and a few pics below.
http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s228/iceemaann11/Cleghorn%2002-10-08/

E

Hey Thanks bro. SoCalBill, Slimsxj and I were wanting to do something sunday but couldn't find anything and no posts about going out. Then 2 or 3 people post up about running Cleg........what a group.

EliasJ123 said:

Camber is jacked? Sure you didn't bend the inner C or jack up a ball joint?

silverslk said:
Hey Thanks bro. SoCalBill, Slimsxj and I were wanting to do something sunday but couldn't find anything and no posts about going out. Then 2 or 3 people post up about running Cleg........what a group.

It was a family outing and I didn't set it up. No offense, but it was just a chance to hang out with brothers, cousins and my dad.

Kyung, I'm not sure that I didn't jack up anything else. I couldn't see anything, but I really don't know what to look for... As of now, I won't be able to work on it until Thurs or Friday night.

Mike & Josh, it would be nice to go to Jambo, but now, I wish it was closer than 160 miles.
I really should be working on the house instead of messing around on on the internet..

E

EliasJ123 said:

If you send me a PM I will send ya my cell number, I live like 45 mins from Cleg and I have a winch, trailer, and 3 capable vehicles and tons of recovery expierence. (Disclaimer= All recovery expierence has been on both the recieving and giving ends and done professionally for a short time.) For me getting out of the dumb shit I do is at least half the fun so I'm always willing to go out and recover some one else's stuff, I can use all the Karma I can get.
silverslk said:

I can't speak for anyone else but my trip was just a last minute thing, got my brother in laws CJ fixed and we were at Cleg a half hour later of course we didn't get there until 4:00 pm so it was mostly a night run.

mikedashg said:
Thanks for sharing.

I dunno how you mess up steering at Cleghorn, but .....

y1pLdsPThlB4ATllcLpogMh_5Nlc66tzgEuUj9iuaNlZl8uZCZGCfzxfv_pfOv_bN16-Wi9XlNwZI4dTkwVSXQ15g

This pic was going up and where I almost rolled. On the bottom side of the pic, there is a little drop off..
y1pLdsPThlB4ATpfOy84ZhBzSwOzbMRAcl-Yh4FbaofC433OB7XUaqKF7KsEy-57l1NNtqQYSM_trqK_o5HtIGwZA

E

Get 33's and the guy goes crazy!!!! hahaha

Just messing with you on the run part. We went up to Azusa and it sucked so we were gonna head to Cleg and chose not to. haha

EliasJ123 said:
y1pLdsPThlB4ATllcLpogMh_5Nlc66tzgEuUj9iuaNlZl8uZCZGCfzxfv_pfOv_bN16-Wi9XlNwZI4dTkwVSXQ15g

This pic was going up and where I almost rolled. On the bottom side of the pic, there is a little drop off..
y1pLdsPThlB4ATpfOy84ZhBzSwOzbMRAcl-Yh4FbaofC433OB7XUaqKF7KsEy-57l1NNtqQYSM_trqK_o5HtIGwZA

E
Dammmmm, you have some serious angle there E

tcm glx said:
Dammmmm, you have some serious angle there E

Yeah.. It wasn't the normal Cleghorn.. I couldn't keep from sliding into the notch no matter what I did.. I think the only thing that kept me from rolling was that I had a lot of weight in the back.

(Go to sleep Tony... It's late and I can't keep up with your posts :moon:) lol..

E

WTF? Nobody got the memo?

In winter, you wheel in the desert. You want to wheel in the mountains? WAIT FOR SUMMER!

Andy

Andy Steiner said:
WTF? Nobody got the memo?

In winter, you wheel in the desert. You want to wheel in the mountains? WAIT FOR SUMMER!

Andy

lol.. Nope.. I didn't get the memo.. That'll teach me..

Desetracer - Nope, no one got past the snow patch right past the v-notch. Yeah, it was slick and harry coming down. It was kind of like being a pinball. :eek:

E

Back