• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?'s on shocks

suprz

NAXJA Forum User
my 1996 jeep country edition sags while towing. (yes, i know the XJ's are notorious for rear end sag) i dont know when the last owner put on new shocks so here is the question. I was looking at the Rancho RS9000 that are adjustable. BUT seeing how i dont tow all that often would i be better off with a good pair of air shocks? I tow a tent trailer that is 2000lbs fully loaded. last time i went camping i had 2 adults in the back seat and camping gear in the back and it did bottom out pretty badly.
so i was thinking a nice set of sensa-tracs in front and some airshocks in back. any help is appreciated!!

Shock absorbers are not going to help with sagging.
They are there to minimize road shock & bouncing.

===
What you need is either helper springs(add a leaf), or an air suspension system.
Only those two options will help keep the rear from sagging when towing that much weight.

===

If your springs are saging to the point that they are bottoming out with a light lode ("two adults in the back and some camping gear") I would replace the packs. It has little to do with your shocks.

my fault, let me do this again. if unloaded, it doesnt sag, at all and last time i had 2 adults, camping gear AND the trailer attached. sorry for the confusion

well, unless that's the last time you'll ever go camping with that scenario, get some new shocks...maybe it'll ride better

but regardless, bottoming out is a direct result of tired leaf packs, not shocks

garr said:
Try some Monroe Load levelers, They helped my Jeeps rear springs cope with the added weight of a Nates Heavy Duty Bumper with Spare tire carrier + it stills rides nice.
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_loadlevel.cfm

They sell a Heavy duty Version also
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm/id/19132/name/550054-Monroe-Severe-Service-Load-Assist-Jeep-Cherokee
my wifes xj has the load leveler shocks and they work pretty good and you cant even tell they are there when your unloaded

Back