• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny line things..

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
Tranny return line from the radiator, top one on tranny, bottum one on radiator. The lil plastic clip inside the tranny that hooks onto the lip of the hard line is mangled... Anyone replaced one of these? I think the lil o-ring behind it is out too... I'm leaking like a seive...

Anywho.. all factory parts I'm sure.. not an Autozone job.

Should be able to find at parts store you may need your old parts to match up I think the lines are 3\8 .

Id go with dealer on the parts there I tried a few simular clips from napa's catalog and it didnt work right the dealer one came as a kit with the o-ring and clip and instructions :) make sure you use some o-ring grease on it so it doesnt rip

Cool beans.. Is removal just a grip it and rip it type thing?

Spray some lube in the fitting to clean it out and grab it with some channel locks and pull. Lots of road gunk gets in there and mine were difficult to get out. I just fixed mine recently. I had to go to the dealership. They have a repair kit that comes with an o-ring, nylon insert, clip for the line and an installation tool to seat the o-ring and nylon insert. Cant remember what I paid but NAPA said they didn't have anything like that.

Do you remember the price of said kit?

Just need to know if I need to hit some kids to pay me back or not..

I think it was around $28 EACH when I bought the one fitting/ring at the dealership.
I know I saw a similar looking fitting at Autozone HELP section the other day so you may want to check those out first.

channel locks may work but I had to use some PB blaster and fuel line disconnect to push the "tangs" that hold the line together. Just ripping on it may screw up the tangs and it will continue to leak. I think the set of discoes goes for about 3 dollars and its pretty good insurance

I have the fuel line disco's, and the peice with the tangs is what i'm tryin to replace along with the o-ring..

then use them and tug away I got mine from the daeler as well wasn't to bad at the time

jfiscus said:
I think it was around $28 EACH when I bought the one fitting/ring at the dealership.
I know I saw a similar looking fitting at Autozone HELP section the other day so you may want to check those out first.
the vato zone help ones are the same I got from napa they are close enough to work in a emergency but they leaked and it got worst pretty fast

I'd just as soon fix it once.. Adding 2 quarts of ATF the past two weeks is getting old..

Get an ATF cooler from Advanced or one of the local parts house's and put it on instead. I added one to my system. Was about $40. Helps to keep it much cooler in the woods going slow.

I have a OEM one in my room... but for the life of me can't figure out where it goes... The way the factory bent the input and output tubes, I can't see where it goes.. I forgot where it was when I took it off my 96 as well..

Either way, still need to fix the return line clip in the tranny... leaking right on my exaust tube..

ZacSquatch said:
I have a OEM one in my room... but for the life of me can't figure out where it goes... The way the factory bent the input and output tubes, I can't see where it goes.. I forgot where it was when I took it off my 96 as well..

Either way, still need to fix the return line clip in the tranny... leaking right on my exaust tube..
Right in front of the radiator on the bottom. I can photo the location tomorrow on 00Clasic's xj if you pm me or him tomorrow.

Blaine B. said:
Cut the end of the rubber line off and double clamp it on the hard line.

Fixed.

What????

Back