• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Help!

rroalf

NAXJA Forum User
All right let me explain this. I just got a new cherokee a '99 sport, 4x4, 4.0, awd. Anways let me get to the problem. When i got it, it was squealling. So i replaced the belt, but it was still squealling. Also Since i bought it the heat barely worked. Anywho i flushed the system with the prestone kit. and then replaced the water pump and thermostat. But now i have even less to no heat at all. the top heater hose (inlet) is super hot. the lower (outlet)is kinda hot but feels like its filled with air. Im thinking that the Heater Core is clogged. anyone help me here

You can disconnect the heater core hoses and get them over the passenger fender, use some extension hoses if you have to, it will be neater. Use your garden hose to flush and back flush the core, alternate between them. Just remember that your houses hose pressure can be like 60psi, the heater core is used to running at 16psi max so don't put the hose in there and give it full pressure.
The other thing you might want to check is behind the heater controls, make sure the temp knob is actually changing the blend on the heater box. There is a cable back there, I just forget which its attached, the selector or the temp knob.
Just looked it up, according to section 24 page 38 figure 43 it shows the temp control is cable controlled with a push nut on the lever and on the control, check to make sure that neither end came off. I would do that first.

As Rich P said, take a close look at the little crank rod that sticks down out of the plastic duct. (THIS IS LOCATED UNDER THE DASH ON THE PASSENGER SIDE NEXT TO THE TRANNY HUMP) This little rod controls the heater blend door above. The factory clip that holds the aircraft cable to this rod can slip. Set the heat control all the way to 'hot' and check to make sure the blend door rod is against the little plastic stop sticking down from the air plenum. (You can see all this without disassembling anything.) If not, then adjust the factory clip and wire rope with pliers or replace the clip with a 1/4" wire rope clamp which can be tightened down so the wire cable wouldn't slip as it pushes the blend door rod back and forth.

Just a thought, but are you sure you got the right water pump?:eyes:

Yes i am sure that i got the rite water pump like i said the water pump and thermostat are all working correctly but the heater thanks for the imput i will check that in the morning its really cold here its like -5 and -20 wind chill so i really need the heater working.

Back