• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parasitic battery drain

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
1990 Jeep Wagoneer

I've been searching for the source of a parasitic battery drain on my Jeep for the last few days. Using a combination of a DMM and a test light I found that when I remove the dome light fuse the drain goes away. What I have yet to discover is where in the dome light circuit the drain is occuring.

Starting at the back:
removed the connector for the rear cargo light switch
removed the overhead console and disconnected the connector for the lights
removed the connector for the glove box light
removed the connectors for the vanity mirrors in the visors
removed the connectors for the 2 underdash lights
removed the stereo

This did not eliminate the draw, only pulling the fuse stopped it. I'm guessing I have a short somewhere. It's pulling about 40 milliamps. Short of pulling the Jeep apart and looking for a damaged wire can someone explain how I can test each part of the circuit with a meter?

Use the multimeter to look for a switch that does not show infinite resisstance when open. When open, that is the device switched is off, there should be no detectable ressistance. A measurable resisstance means that power can get through- that's your leak.

40 Milliamps doesn't sound like a large parasitic draw to me. More like 1-2 amps would be. Do you have a wiring schematic? If not, look on autozone's website as they usually have some. That or buy a Haynes manual. (20 bucks)

Is that the fuse that also controls the current to the radio that maintains the settings when it is off? On the 93 I know that the 10 amp fuse for the dome lights also affects the radio but I'm not sure off hand whether it includes the maintenance circuit.

Back