• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help electrical gurus

stxcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
:huh: ok guys..

so as of now no turn signals or brake lights.. still have reverse lights, and parking lights, but nada else..

the only thing that i am worried about right now is the brake lights.

95 auto 4.0 4dr 4wd

So far here is what i've done

Replaced bulbs, made no change
traced wires, nothing wrong with them.
checked switch behind pedal, seems to work, white and pink/red wire has 12v w/ brake pedal pushed in .. black is obviously ground, and another wire has a constant 3.8v

going to the brake lights themselves. the lead for them i cut the wires.

the wire coming from the truck has 3.8v on both sides. if i connect it to the bulb (other end running to the bulb), it goes to 0v. the lead that is cut from me, coming from the bulb is grounded it's self, the white and red wire, or yellow and red. yet the parking light filament still works.

what is going on and how the heck do i fix it?

I think the wire at the stop lamp switch at pedal that has the 3.8V goes over to the Speed Control Servo circuit...do you have Cruise control?

Anyways, when you hit the brakes, make the switch, 12v shoots through it and after travel through several connectors and splices, it puts 12 volts to one filament in the double filament bulb. So, since your tail lights are working in those bulbs when you turn on the headlights, the ground circuit must be good.

Power circuit must be open...

The 12 volts goes through a black Connector 203 down in the left kick panel, and then the circuit splits at Splice 306 which is near the C pillar driver side just before the wires go up over the the rear wheel well.

found all the connections.. why would i get 3.8v at the back lights on the wire that runs from the connectors you spoke of.

yet when i connect a bulb in, i get 0v to the same area?.. there was a pin on the pedal switch that threw out 12v when i pressed the pedal, yet not sure what it goes to.

i even tried cutting the original wires for the brakes at the lamp, and running new wires off the 12v. pin, but then the 12v had 0v...

what do i do now?

no cruise either sorry..

also why would the wire coming from the brake light.. the light has 3 wires correct...

one is ground, one is parking filament, and one is stop light filament.

the wire for the stop light, i cut it at the light to test single..

and it is grounded. why?? should the bulb it's self other than the ground be grounded from any other wire?

Are you reading across the filament to ground and getting a low resistance reading, or aare you reading the brake lamp power feed wire to ground?

Sounds like the power feed wire to stop light filament is shorted to ground...but this would normally blow the fuse if it is a direct short...

12volts is fed into the switch at the pedal...when you step on the brake the switch feeds it through to the brake lamps...

Sounds like somewhere between fuse, stop lamp switch, and lamps, the circuit is either open or shorting out...

i get 3.8v from the brake lamp power feed wire, and from the brake filament to the body i get continuity, which means to me it's grounded.

the feed wire it's self is 3.8v, which tells me no shorts

could i have a bad pedal switch?

You should get continuity from the brake filament to the body...one side of the filament is grounded...so you are reading across the filament...

The switch must be bad...12volts should be coming in...and going out...

2qn2q83.png

ok so it wasnt the switch.. getting the same readings w/ new switch..

can someone please give me wire colors, because the schematics make no sense when staring at several differnet wires

is there a way to just run new wires to the filament off the switch?

2qn2q83.png

The schematic was posted by 8Mud
read it left to right...top to bottom
Battery -> fuse -> into switch on Pink wire with Black tracer on pin 5 -> out on pin 2 white wire with tan tracer...etc...

ok.. now i've got it.. sorry.. i will check all this out tomorrow.. also getting my multifunction switch in tomorrow morn.. anyone know where the install guide is for it.. saw it once but can't find it searching

thanks guys

I had this problem on my 92 xj. I found that the power wire coming from the the fuse had a short in it some where between the fuse box and the brake light switch. on xjs if no power is going to ur brake lights, your hazards wont work either because they run off the same power source.

easy fix, (assuming youve checks obvious fuses first) find the main power wire for your brake light switch(according to your schematic) and run 12v source to it. and see if it works when u press the brakes and turn on ur hazards.

If thats the case go to autzone and get an "add a fuse kit". and tap power from your parking light fuse to run ur brake lights and hazards.

I took out the original fuses, and capped the wires for the old main power source for the brake and hazards.

cambosoup99 said:
I had this problem on my 92 xj. I found that the power wire coming from the the fuse had a short in it some where between the fuse box and the brake light switch. on xjs if no power is going to ur brake lights, your hazards wont work either because they run off the same power source.

easy fix, (assuming youve checks obvious fuses first) find the main power wire for your brake light switch(according to your schematic) and run 12v source to it. and see if it works when u press the brakes and turn on ur hazards.

If thats the case go to autzone and get an "add a fuse kit". and tap power from your parking light fuse to run ur brake lights and hazards.

I took out the original fuses, and capped the wires for the old main power source for the brake and hazards.

dude it so worked.. you are awesome.. thanks

if i cap the origional wire, nothing works. i need to find the fuse, but it is a fused link now so we will be fine.

thanks again.. problem solved

Back