• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Vibration...Ideas?

Doose-doe

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I just bought my first XJ today, 97 4.0 w/ a 5speed manual. its just about to turn 80K. When i put it in 4wd it pulls to the right then to the left. It is very noisy and creates a lot vibration. Anyone know what is causing this or what might cause it? It doesnt have a lift or anything 100% stock. Any info is much appreciated. thanks

decorat-w-mudd said:
Hello all,
I just bought my first XJ today, 97 4.0 w/ a 5speed manual. its just about to turn 80K. When i put it in 4wd it pulls to the right then to the left. It is very noisy and creates a lot vibration. Anyone know what is causing this or what might cause it? It doesnt have a lift or anything 100% stock. Any info is much appreciated. thanks
You did not give very much detail ... just wondering if you were running 4WD on a paved road. That is not recommended with the 231 Transfer Case.

The symptoms you described resemble how your vehicle would handle under those conditions. HTH ...

Les

Yes i was on a paved road, but the roads were very icy and snowy. This is my first jeep as well and I am only 17 and am not super familiar with these cars yet. So maybe it is as simple as that?! either way the car is getting looked over by my mechanic incase of other problems.

no turning just driving on a straight road. its like the right wheel spins faster and at different times as the left wheel (front)

decorat-w-mudd said:
no turning just driving on a straight road. its like the right wheel spins faster and at different times as the left wheel (front)

If you're driving in snow/ice with an open differential, then that is exactly what happens. 4wd just means that all the wheels are driven, not that they are driven at the same speed (unless you have locking diffs).

If you're booting it, then you'd probably get vibration too...

Back