• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check gauges.. low oil pressure..

jhermes01

NAXJA Forum User
00' sport 4x4 auto i've had a an almost seemingly regular problem with my engine.. when the engine warms up the oil pressure drops down to idle pressure(roughly 10-15 psi).. then drops off to nothing a minute later, then the red check gauges light comes on.. truck only has 72k on it and get about 6k a year on it. had the oil pump and sender replaced less then a 1000 milles ago.. still doin same thing.. there are no signs of the engine running bad or anything of that sort.. is this a defect some some kind or does it sound like the bearing might be bad?

this is not a common problem... I suggest connecting a mechanical oil pressure guage to make sure you are really having an oil pressure problem, versus a misleading guage/sender/computer problem...if the problem is real, you should bring it back to whoever fixed it...they must have some kind of warranty...

Welcome to NAXJA

Mine was doing the exact same thing! 2000 4.0 xj i had a high flow oil pump put in as a band aid fix, im told i need cam bearings, which means an engine swap or rebuild. the funny thing is that it has never made any noise that sounded like there was no oil pressure. I drove it for about a year after that with no problems then it started sound like metal on metal whenever the thing was running so its been sitting for about 3-4 months, my tax return is going to a junkyard swap and then im going to rebuild the old one.

Pat

yeah i was always hopeing not to hear that! i have a feeling that it might be that badd.. when i had the oil pump replaced(by my buddy) his shop manager is a master tech aswell as a xj owner himself.. he had checked the bearing (main and whatever else connecting the crank) he said they "look" alright.. haven't had any problems since. just wondering if i should start investing in a new replacement engine. and by the way.. had a mechanical gauge connected before it was replaced and the pressure was sitting at 4 psi before swapped.. didn't starting dropping off again untill about a week after

HOLD ON NOW!

Before you start throwing new motors in, check the sender where it connects to the sensor, right near the oil filter.

I noticed that mine was a little low. Took off the grimy connector, blasted it with contact cleaner, plugged it back in, and the pressure was fine again.

A new motor will probably have a clean connector, so that should work, too, though.

If it is not too late, try switching to 20W50 oil with one quart of Lucas oil additive added to the engine, then retest the hot idle oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. IF you can hold 13 psi, hot oil, in drive at idle you are still OK. Jeep OEM spec on the 4.0 is 13 psi, with hot oil at idle.

Oh, and get rid of the Fram oil filter and get a K & N oil filter. IIRC correctly the overpressure protection in an oil filter can cause pressure loss too, so can the oil pump pressure relief valve if it gets hung partly open at higher pressures and then fails to reseal at lower pressures!

:dunno: i used 15w40 in mine it helped a little but now that its making that grinding noise i think its to late :doh:

stpatty77 said:
:dunno: i used 15w40 in mine it helped a little but now that its making that grinding noise i think its to late :doh:

You won't know until you tear it down. Could be something simple and cheap. Have you tried locating the source of the noise with a hose or screw driver hearing aid? How do you know its in the engine and not something like a PS pump bearing?

The oil sender connector on my TJ is flakey like that, oil press drops to -0- check gauges light comes on, I pull the seat cover out of my ass, pop the hood, touch the connector a bit and it comes right back to 40. It's either the plug or the sender, it's on my list of things to replace. Matter of fact the wind seems to have died down, think I'll hit it now with some contact cleaner while it's in my mind.

Clean and inspect plug replace sensor if needed. Check with after market gaug if needed. If OP is realy that low at 72k it's not looking good. My two 01 with 100k+ each hold 40 PSI at hot idle (Dino 10W-30/40) . Start stuffing the piggy bank and drive her till wheels fall off.

i'm gonna start with the sensor, it seems as though whoever had the jeep before me was scared to even look at the engine besides taking it somewhere to change the oil.. the sparkplugs were nasty looking before i replaced.. had pump and sender changed already, so my next step will defently check the sensor.. thanks for the thoughts been helpful

Back